• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Waxwings of the Winter (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Up at Hirsel, Coldstream, with the RSPB today. Despite dire warnings of heavy rain I remained a dry birder most of the time. Damp and dull though. On arrival saw two Waxwings feeding. Just before I left watched them feeding on the berries for some time. They were not at all phased by onlookers. Not too much in between though, although I did have good views of a Buzzard, Great Spotted Woodpecker and flock of Siskins . I seem to have given up hope of adding to my year list but the trip was worth it for the Waxwings. Only saw my first Waxwings last year so :t:

Nice to know they're here.

:clap:
brianfm said:
Up at Hirsel, Coldstream, with the RSPB today. Despite dire warnings of heavy rain I remained a dry birder most of the time. Damp and dull though. On arrival saw two Waxwings feeding. Just before I left watched them feeding on the berries for some time. They were not at all phased by onlookers. Not too much in between though, although I did have good views of a Buzzard, Great Spotted Woodpecker and flock of Siskins . I seem to have given up hope of adding to my year list but the trip was worth it for the Waxwings. Only saw my first Waxwings last year so :t:

Hiya Bonny Lad.

That's a nice early pick up; let's hope we are in for a winter of Waxwings like last year. The others you mentioned weren't to be sniffed at.

All the best, Brian.
Baz.

Good one Brian. I absolutley love Waxwings - aren't they beautiful?
I've never seen one yet but it's definitely a bird I hope to encounter.

Janay15 said:
I've never seen one yet but it's definitely a bird I hope to encounter.

Hi Janay,
Ive never seen one too, and dont expect too if I stay in wales and dont go to the east of England in winter.

ant

Hi Janay, Ant and Baz

Yes I am rather pleased with myself tonight! As I say it was only last year when Waxwings flooded the country that I saw my first ones. I remember over the years looking in books and thinking that they were very exotic birds and wondering if I would ever see them. I nearly gave up hope last year as there were reports of them all over the place, before I got to see some. I saw a flock near my home in a churchyard, in full sun last year and making their tinkling call. Today was murky and they were silent, but I will not complain. Hope you all get to see some sooner or later. I think this again proves my theory Janay, of once seen/keep seeing. ;)

Cheers

Britner said:
Hi Janay,
Ive never seen one too, and dont expect too if I stay in wales and dont go to the east of England in winter.

ant
Don't give up hope Ant, there were plenty to be seen in W Yorks last winter/early spring and I think they were also seen on Merseyside so they obviously go west in their search for food.

Well done with the Waxwings Brian, and staying dry was a bonus !! :clap: :clap:

Send some down to the West Mids please !! I was out when they arrived in my front garden last Winter :-C

Pam_m said:
Well done with the Waxwings Brian, and staying dry was a bonus !! :clap: :clap:

Send some down to the West Mids please !! I was out when they arrived in my front garden last Winter :-C

Well plenty of time yet Pam. Just wait till it starts to get cold :eek!: mind you I would not bank upon numbers matching last years!!!

Well done with the Waxwings Brian, and I'm glad you managed to stay dry.
Waxwings are beautiful birds, I was really happy last winter when a waxwing flew into my garden, though less pleased when it was chased from the birdbath a couple minutes later by the resident blackbird-in-charge! |=@|

Hi Brian Sounds a good day, far better than down here, I like Coldstrem some excellent birding in the area, my ancesters come from the there abouts. Saw my first Waxwing last year in the local park ten minutes away. after having chased all over Cheshire and North Wales trying to see them, lovely birds hopr they flood the country this year.
Good Birding PeterK

Hi Brian and all,
What a good early sighting of them,I bet you're well chuffed? AND managed to stay dry too? Something we couldn't do here yesterday!!!!
Lets hope they head south as I'd love a view of them like we had last year......they came right into our local town during February giving amazing views and sounds as they alighted into the trees!
Here's the tree they were in!!!! lol!!! :t:
The Waxwings were there too but I only had my mobile on me at the time!!!! Still it's a nice reminder!!!
Best wishes,

Attachments

• Waxwings.jpg
    Waxwings.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 49
Hello Brian,

NE winds forecast for later in the week, so if you can just give the Waxwings directions to Dorset I, for one, would be very grateful as I never got to see them last year. There are still plenty of berries around down here in spite of the cold weather over the last couple of weeks, so they will be in for a good feast if they make it this far.

Good Day all

Thanks for the pic Ruth. I nearly missed my flock last year which flew into the trees just like yours. I initially saw what I though was a flock of Starlings. They turned out to be Waxwings so I was pleased to have given them a closer inspection. The sound is unmistakeable though. Like your Christmas bell also. ;)
Wendy........I shall place a sign in my garden giving directions to Dorset. But don't hold your breath.
Peter......... Yes Coldstream area is very good, as is the borders area in general. Very mirky yesterday,all though the rain kept off in the main. Large numbers of Goosander around. You may have seen that we have a party of 6 on the local lake as well. I think winter birding can be very special.

Cheers all.

Bea said:
Don't give up hope Ant, there were plenty to be seen in W Yorks last winter/early spring and I think they were also seen on Merseyside so they obviously go west in their search for food.
According to the birdguides site they have been spotted in Leeds a few times already this year. I've only ever seen them once and that was in spring 96 or 97, in the car park of the trading estate where I used to work, despite the huge numbers we had last year.

brianfm said:
I think this again proves my theory of once seen/keep seeing. ;)

So true Brian.....took me ten years to see my first Kingfishers yet after that I was practically falling over them every time I was near water!

Britner said:
Hi Janay,

ant
Don't give up hope Ant - like Bea said they have been known to appear further west and apparentley it was only last year that they stretched into Wales.

Janay :cat:

Janay15 said:
Don't give up hope Ant - like Bea said they have been known to appear further west and apparentley it was only last year that they stretched into Wales.

Janay :cat:

I am sure I have just read somwhere that they have been seen in north of Wales this year. So no excuses Ant. Put your laptop down and get out there looking..............................please ;)

brianfm said:
I am sure I have just read somwhere that they have been seen in north of Wales this year. So no excuses Ant. Put your laptop down and get out there looking..............................please ;)

Im not on my laptop bri, im on the college computers,

Where did you read about these waxwings, and where abouts are they?

ant

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back