• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird do you find annoying? (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
Only one bird truly annoys me so far, that bird would be the Blue Jay. Its screech is dreadfully annoying. There is just something about it, I have lots of species visiting daily, and lots of groups of birds but only the blue jay has been an issue.

Do any annoy you?

Drake.

I don't like pheasants, but that's a little hard on the birds themselves. It's the people that pen-rear them and chuck them in vast quantities into the countryside just to shoot them and then bulldoze them into ditches.

Graham

-25 said:
Only one bird truly annoys me so far, that bird would be the Blue Jay. Its screech is dreadfully annoying. There is just something about it, I have lots of species visiting daily, and lots of groups of birds but only the blue jay has been an issue.

Do any annoy you?

Drake.
yes, the two crows that wake my son up at first light.

Magpies can be annoying at times. Chakking away ain't to good especially when lying in after a night out. But then, it is my own fault for being hungover! I would hate to see no Magpies at all, though.

lvn600 said:
House Sparrows annoy me at my house only because they seem to hog the feeders -keeping other birds away.
There's a sparrow hierarchy, as David Attenborough demonstrated in his 'Life of Birds' series. It's the 'colonels' fighting off the 'captains'..... it's all to do with the size of the black bib underneath their beak.

No birds annoy me at all.

Annoying Birds.

Hi. Mainly only birds that can't spell annoying.
Also I am not too keen on Crows as they are always chasing the Buzzards and Hawks. Please advise why they do it. It is very annoying when you are lining up for a photo shot of a hawk on a fence post and into the scene comes Crow. ;)

Katherine said:
There's a sparrow hierarchy, as David Attenborough demonstrated in his 'Life of Birds' series. It's the 'colonels' fighting off the 'captains'..... it's all to do with the size of the black bib underneath their beak
. -really?-If that's true it will give me a reason to watch them.

Well, no woodpeckers at my house...mostly plastic siding. So only the ones whose droppings fall on my car at work..Starlings. Starlings elesewhere are not so bad.

Pigeons cooing and scratching en masse on a roof I'm sleeping under tend to annoy me.
There was that northern flicker that used to drum on the metal street light outside my old bedroom window, very early in the morning. I wasn't happy about being awakened, but I could never really be mad at a woodpecker.

Bluejays are seed hogs, and cow birds take over nests, but the most annoying is the bird that lives next door to me. Noisy thing has her head sticking out the window most of the time squawkin' about something. :)

squirrelman said:
I have absolutely NO use for Starlings!! They are noisy, filthy birds!!

Noooo! Starlings are awesome. What a spectacle, watching a flock feed. And the beautiful plumage detail up close? And what about the dense roosting flocks forming shapes in the sky? That's as fine a site as any in nature, surely?

And noisy? They are the most incredible mimics - that incredible array of noises includes perfect renditions of the callls and songs of hundreds of species. I saw one yesterday doing Greenfinch so well it was really upsetting the nearby Greenfinches.

I love 'em all, including the magpies and jays and crows and herring gulls.

Graham

Woodpigeons, you try to walk nice and quietly through the woods looking for some shy bird, and a bunch of pigeons fly up from the ground or the trees with their wings making a dreadful din. When I say a bunch of pigeons it can be 50+.
Jackie

Dunnocks for me. They skulk around in the bottom of bushes and try and convince you that they are rare. I must have wasted hours of birding time over the years staking them out. They masquerade as chats, large warblers and even American Sparrows.

Wrens do it too, but they have more redeeming features.

bitterntwisted said:
Noooo! Starlings are awesome. What a spectacle, watching a flock feed. And the beautiful plumage detail up close? And what about the dense roosting flocks forming shapes in the sky? That's as fine a site as any in nature, surely?

And noisy? They are the most incredible mimics - that incredible array of noises includes perfect renditions of the callls and songs of hundreds of species. I saw one yesterday doing Greenfinch so well it was really upsetting the nearby Greenfinches.

I love 'em all, including the magpies and jays and crows and herring gulls.

Graham
"WELL SAID GRAHAM, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU".

Rod.

I'd imagine if you ask anyone whose surveyed waders for a living - which I spent too much time doing when younger - they would say oystercatchers. Someone I worked with descibed them as the Jeremy Beadle of the birdworld (apologies to non-uk members who probably have no idea who I am talking about). When I used to ring I developed a pretty strong dislike of blue tits.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back