• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Televid 77 - good deal? (1 Viewer)

jammie*dodger

I've been offered a televid for £400 and was wondering how this stacks up. It's the straight 20-60 and seems in good condition other than quite a few surface marks on the silver finish. It comes with a bag and sling and a Velbon Carbon fibre tripod with QR system. This all seems like a good deal but if it doesn't suit I want to be sure I can resell with little or no loss. Any thoughts most appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

jammie*dodger said:
I've been offered a televid for £400 and was wondering how this stacks up. It's the straight 20-60 and seems in good condition other than quite a few surface marks on the silver finish. It comes with a bag and sling and a Velbon Carbon fibre tripod with QR system. This all seems like a good deal but if it doesn't suit I want to be sure I can resell with little or no loss. Any thoughts most appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

Sound like a good deal to me, £1000 scope (new) with a £250 eyepiece (new), plus the other bits, had a quick look on the 2nd hand page of a local shop and you'll be looking at £600+ for the same scope (angled) with 20x eyepiece.

Sounds like I can't go wrong then. Would the cosmetics on the paint make a big difference to the resale price?

Cheers, Rob.

Last edited:
jammie*dodger said:
Sounds like I can't go wrong then. Would the cosmetics on the paint make a big difference to the resale price?

Cheers, Rob.

Depends how bad they, it couldn't be sold as mint condition, so would certainly sell for less than a mint condition scope.

If your happy to pay £400 for the bundle that's all that matters, have a look at prices of 2nd hand scopes in your local optic shop and compare condition and price.

jeff said:
Sound like a good deal to me, £1000 scope (new) with a £250 eyepiece (new), plus the other bits, had a quick look on the 2nd hand page of a local shop and you'll be looking at £600+ for the same scope (angled) with 20x eyepiece.

No mention of it being an APO version, but still a good price....check the coatings on the OG.... to ensure they're not scratched or swirl patterns.

PYRTLE said:
No mention of it being an APO version, but still a good price....check the coatings on the OG.... to ensure they're not scratched or swirl patterns.

Showing my inexperience here... I know what APO is but where would it be marked as APO? Also what is OG?

Cheers, Rob.

jammie*dodger said:
Showing my inexperience here... I know what APO is but where would it be marked as APO? Also what is OG?

Cheers, Rob.

It will say "APO Televid" on the side and will say on the lens hood that it has a flourite lens. The price seems about right for a non-APO 77 with zoom, with the CF tripod it looks to be a good deal (assuming it's all in good nick).

postcardcv said:
It will say "APO Televid" on the side and will say on the lens hood that it has a flourite lens. The price seems about right for a non-APO 77 with zoom, with the CF tripod it looks to be a good deal (assuming it's all in good nick).

Although I live in Cambridge, I work in Bedford and I saw this scope in a Bedford shop this afternoon. It is a non APO version with the old non-locking zoom. The body is heavily used and significantly marked but the objective glass is unmarked. The zoom eyepiece is marked as well. There is a newish looking Leica stay on case included. The tripod is in good condition but rather short- not sure which model it is. If you are tall, you may find it unstable as you would have to wind the gear up.

I would say it is a good buy if you do not mind the weight and you want a straight scope - especially as I was told they will take £350!

Dave

Blincodave said:
Although I live in Cambridge, I work in Bedford and I saw this scope in a Bedford shop this afternoon. It is a non APO version with the old non-locking zoom. The body is heavily used and significantly marked but the objective glass is unmarked. The zoom eyepiece is marked as well. There is a newish looking Leica stay on case included. The tripod is in good condition but rather short- not sure which model it is. If you are tall, you may find it unstable as you would have to wind the gear up.

I would say it is a good buy if you do not mind the weight and you want a straight scope - especially as I was told they will take £350!

Dave

Ah, I thought the eyepiece was marked. I'd planned to return tomorrow with a lens cloth and see if it was just grease but maybe not now.

I'll sleep on it I think.

Cheers, Rob.

p.s. I work in Cambridge and live in Bedford. Strange world ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back