• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jessops cable release (1 Viewer)

marek_walford

Hi,

I've just got a Coolpix 990 and would like to get a cable release. Can anybody give me the catalogue numbers for the bracket AND a cable release so I can just walk into Jessops and quote a couple of numbers?

Many thanks.

Hi Marek

I just happened to have my receipt handy.

The release adapter bracket = JESCRAB currently £20.99
20" vinyl cable release = JESCR20V currently £9.29

There is AFAIK only one type of bracket, which I have used on a CP880 and a CP4500, so should be suitable. They have a whole range of cable releases, the above just happens to be the one I have.

I hope this helps

Dave

Hi Marek,

I saw somewhere, possibly on their site that you had to order the brackets in the shops, but I just walked in and found one in a bubble pack on the wall - you may prove lucky too :t:

I've tried both the Jessops and the Eagle-Eye releases. The latter uses better materials making it more robust, less bulky and is less likely to rotate out of alignment. Altogether better engineered in my opinion.

RE: EagleEye bracket

I've looked at their website. Am I right in thinking I would need the MK2 wing bracket (£29.99) + model b shutter release arm (£19.95) + cable release (c. £10) = £59.94 (+ p&p). Seems a lot, especially as the Jessops version would be £30.28 (incl).

Marek,

I went for the EagleEye Generic Shutter Release Arm, which is very similar in principle to the Jessops one that I got - just better engineered with better, thinner materials allowing full access to battery removal. This cost me £24.99 + £6.00 p&p + £5.42 VAT, i.e. only about £6 more but without the cable. This works very well with my 4500 but I think you have a 990 or 995 so I would check this aspect out.

By the way, I'm still turning up at the wrong times to see Lavell's Bittern!

After now stripping the plastic threads from two Jessops cable release arms, I have swapped to the EagleEye one too - works out now at £26.97 all in.

Softsfan said:
Marek,

I went for the EagleEye Generic Shutter Release Arm, which is very similar in principle to the Jessops one that I got - just better engineered with better, thinner materials allowing full access to battery removal. This cost me £24.99 + £6.00 p&p + £5.42 VAT, i.e. only about £6 more but without the cable. This works very well with my 4500 but I think you have a 990 or 995 so I would check this aspect out.

By the way, I'm still turning up at the wrong times to see Lavell's Bittern!

Hi Softsan and IanF,

Is it possible to say from what company you got this Shutter release arm from?
Do you use this with the Eagleeye wing bracket, or the Jessops version?

IanF, why are the vinyl cable releases' not too good, in your experience?

thanks

tracker

Hi Tracker,

I have both the Jessops and EagleEye brackets. They are both very good though I'd say the EagleEye Generic bracket has the edge as it is an all metal construction. With the Jessops one the cable release has to screw into a plastic mount which I find in no time at all get it's threads stripped and renders the bracket useless.

As regards cable releases. I prefer the cloth covered versions as they seem to be more flexible and slightly longer further reducing vibrations - though perversely I am using a vinyl one at the moment as I have 'misplaced' my other one.

Thanks for the speedy reply Ian.

Ive just visited the Eagleeye site and heres a list ive worked out:

1) Wing 4500 bracket (£30.00)
2) Shutter release arm - model B (£17.00)
3) 18" Shutter release cable (£10.00)

Is that all i would need?

Can this gear be swapped around, for example, if i buy the Jessops bracket, can i attach the Eagleeye shutter release arm (model B) to it? The 20" shutter release cable from Jessops is £9.49

much appreciated,

tracker

just realised the prices above on the Eagleeye site are WITHOUT VAT!!!

Last edited:
Would a Jessops 20" cable release work with the Eagleeye bracket and arm? If so, then i think i will order the bracket and arm from WarehouseExpress.

tracker

I believe it's the Jessops 20" cable release that I have somewhere - a red/black woven cover.

I couldn't find the EagleEye Generic shutter relase arm on WE. It's not the Wing Arm that is something different and much more expensive tho just as good I'd imagine.

I forgot to mention that with both the Jessops and EE brackets I saw half the base off to make them more compact.

Right, heres what im gonna purchase from Eagleeye Optics:

1) Wing 4500 Bracket
2) Shutter release arm - model B

£58.63 with postage

From Jessops:

1) 20" cable release (vinyl)

£9.49

Total will be around £70.00 mark.

So will the Jessops 20" cable release work with the Eagleeye components listed above?

Will this be all i need then?

thanks,

tracker

Hi Tracker,

Back-track a little Tracker!

The EagleEye one that I have is the Generic Shutter Release Arm for £19.95 - about half way down on their Products Menu under Custom Accessories and costs £19.95!

In addition you need a shutter release cable - they do the 10" for £6.99 or 18" (I prefer) for £9.99.

+p&p.

That is all you need!

The EE LCD viewer/magnifier is a useful accessory too if you haven't already got one - the small one for the CP4500.

Jessops do a nice cloth coloured cable release but I haven't looked up the prices.

Just visited that page you mentioned Ian.

So, (scratching newbie head) let me get this straight, and before you shout out of frustration, please remember ive not seen the equipment that you guys so easily refer to. Before i looked at your reference to the GENERIC EagleEye Shutter release arm, it took me all my time to put together the three basic components i would need to purchase for the shutter release mechanism. They are the Wing 4500 bracket, the Shutter release arm model B, and the actual shutter release cable.

Are you saying, Ian......... ;)..... that with the Generic EagleEye Shutter Release Arm, i will only need the shutter release cable, just 2 items? That the Generic version doesnt require the Wing 4500 bracket, as though its a standalone attachment?

Be kind to me................. :t:

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back