• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour-Ringed Black-tailed Godwit (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

Took this grab-shot of a group of Black-tailed Godwits at Marshside last night. Whilst uploading the images to my pc spotted the ringed bird.

Unfortunately, there should be four colour bands showing, but two are hidden by feathers. A quick internet search and email got me in touch with Sigga Beta, who suggests the colour code 'might be' GO RR.
If so then :

GO-RR was ringed in NE Iceland. Top line is the day of ringing. Details below

21.07.01 Road 926 to Husey near Nefbjarnarstadir NE Ice

12.09.01 South Uist, Outer Hebrides, W Scotland
08.11.02 Dee Estuary, Cheshire, NW England
19.01.03 Wexford Slobs, Co. Wexford, S Ireland
07.08.03 Marshside, Ribble estuary, Lancashire, NW England
14.10.03 Dee Estuary, Cheshire, NW England
14.12.03 Dee Estuary, Clywd, N Wales
24.07.06 Killingholme, Humer estuary, Lincolnshire, E England
03.08.06 North Killingholme, Humber, Lincolnshire, E England
12.08.07 Killingholme, Humber estuary, Lincolnshire, E England

Obviously always worth a second look! Fascinating stuff!

For more info: http://www.uea.ac.uk/~b072834/page6.html

Attachments

• Ringed-Blackwit-17092007-co.jpg
    Ringed-Blackwit-17092007-co.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I have found a couple on my local patch with one GR Y//W noted returning again this August and is now 12 years old.

Here is another related thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=41152&highlight=black-tailed+godwit

It's always worth checking, and as you have done, found a bit of history about the bird.

I had a frustrating wait for 2 Greenshanks with colour bands roosting last Sunday. Only one leg visible, eventually one put it's second leg down so I could see all the bands but the other did not and after 30mins some Greylag came in front and I lost view of it.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back