• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angenieux 7x30F binoculars (1 Viewer)

jjg213

I am looking for more information on these binoculars. They were made in France, I think in the early 1990's, they are double hinged, (like 8x20 Trinovids, Swaroski's etc), roof prism, FOV 7.2 degrees, 126M@1000M, Eyerelief ~15mm, with rubber fold down eyecups, minimum focus ~3M, weight 405 grams. They are very sharp and clear, though not quite up to the level of early series of Trinovid 8x32B, 7x42B. The Angenieux company was very well known for their superior zoom lenses for cinematography, but there appears to be little info on their binoculars. They apparently also made a 8x24 porro model. I am hoping that someone in this forum could help me answer the following questions:
Are they phase corrected (I know, not likely!), year(s) of production, original price, and any other information.
Thank you, John

Hi John,

I didn't know that Angenieux made binoculars, though the company enjoyed an excellent reputation for its 8mm and 16mm film cameras.
If you want to check for phase-coating, cover one objective, put on some polarizing sunglasses and rotate a polarizing filter in front of the free objective.
If the bins are not phase coated you will observe the halves of the view corresponding to the prism edge alternately brightening and darkening.
Nevertheless, all my phase-coated bins do exhibit some colour anomalies with this test, which some contributors to this forum would, no doubt, interpret as a good argument for Porros ;-)

John

Last edited:
Angénieux was a pioneer of the zoom lens technology. A friend of my parents had an Angénieux zoom lens on his film SLR in the 90s. The company’s been absorbed by the Thalès defense group (e.g. their space optics line and some classified stuff) but still has a cine lens line, just as other storied firms like Cooke.

Thalès makes a line of high-tech military binoculars with night vision, GPS, targeting and communications capabilities, with Angénieux and Thomson-CSF DNA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back