• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In praise of 6x30 binoculars! (1 Viewer)

As I get older I am finding that image shake is becoming more of a problem. For this reason I mostly use my Leupold 6x30 binoculars.The low power helps reduce image shake. Isn't it about time that more manufacturers produced quality low powered binoculars of this specification. They are relatively small & lightweight and are far superior in use to most compact binoculars having a reasonably large exit pupil and width of field.

I thought I would add my opinion on the 6x and 7x argument. I used to think I liked 6X and 7X magnifications but after trying them for awhile I am back to 8X and 10X. Just not enough reach for me. Sorry, that's my opinion. I like 8X and in some cases 10X. They just really seem the perfect magnification for me. I especially don't like 6X.

I thought I would add my opinion on the 6x and 7x argument. I used to think I liked 6X and 7X magnifications but after trying them for awhile I am back to 8X and 10X. Just not enough reach for me. Sorry, that's my opinion. I like 8X and in some cases 10X. They just really seem the perfect magnification for me. I especially don't like 6X.

I didn't realize we were talking about mutual exclusivity here. For me, it's horses for courses.
Clearly the field binocular world revolves around 8-10x, so you're happily in the meat of the curve, so to speak.

Odd that no one ever talks about 8x binoculars ;)

Last edited:
Ron and Kevin C, Brock used to have the Fujinon 6x30 FMT-SX and I had a chance to use it for a while and I agree with Ron. Brock has had two of these over the years. I should of bought it off him.
Regards,Steve

Yeah, I'd like to have a pair of those. They're quite hard to find. My AR-SX are the non flat field version but are still spectacular. I let my neighbor use them for a bit and he was speechless. I paid $100. for them in pristine condition and they are without a doubt the best $100. bins I'll probably ever have.

One bino that gets overlooked is the Minox BD 6.5x32 I.F. I have use one for about 4 months in all situations including some night sky observations.
Chris

I have those as well, but our opinion differs. Yes, they have terrific optics and with a CF adjustment, they would be keepers. But they are IF. They don't work well for close in birding, and even when hunting and the use is at distances greater than 50 yards, they still need the CF. The focus is deep and sharp, but not that sharp, as just a tiny bit of focus change will snap something into detail. I wouldn't keep them over a 6x30 Yosemite on a bet.

I am rather disappointed by the available 6x binoculars. FOV is narrow for a 6x, totally defeats the purpose of lower magnification. I can hold binocular steady with 8.5x. There is really no reason for me to switch to 6x if FOV does not increase proportionally. A 6x with 10-11 degree angle will be very interesting to try out.

I am rather disappointed by the available 6x binoculars. FOV is narrow for a 6x, totally defeats the purpose of lower magnification. I can hold binocular steady with 8.5x. There is really no reason for me to switch to 6x if FOV does not increase proportionally. A 6x with 10-11 degree angle will be very interesting to try out.

A lot of them, if not most, have 8 degree FOV's or close to it. About 420' @ 1000 yards, the standard for extra-wide. I can't think of any that have a truly narrow FOV. There are some quite good roofs like Leupold, and additionally, a number of small, excellent 6 x 30 porros that sell for around $100.00. No excellent 8x or 8.5x though.
Bob

Last edited:
That's the problem with most 6ish bins out there they don't really have as much FOV as I think they should have. To go to lower magnifications in my opinion you want to gain on both lack of shake and FOV.
Agreed. To get a feel for how good the FOV is given the magnification, I find a quick rule of thumb is to multiply the FOV (in meters at 1000m) by the magnification. For example, the ZR 7x36 ED2 gives 159 x 7 = 1113. Anything more than 1000 is good (over 1100 very good), anything less than 1000 is bad. Very crude measure I know. And if you work in feet, you have a division (/3) to do. Unless you set your "good" level not at 1000 but at 3000. In which case you're dealing with bigger numbers = harder mentally.

I suppose it makes more sense to talk about FOV in degrees rather than feet or meters. But most people seem less comfortable with degrees. I daresay the manufacturers know this and write their copy accordingly.

Last edited:
A lot of them, if not most, have 8 degree FOV's or close to it. About 420' @ 1000 yards, the standard for extra-wide. I can't think of any that have a truly narrow FOV. There are some quite good roofs like Leupold, and additionally, a number of small, excellent 6 x 30 porros that sell for around $100.00. No excellent 8x or 8.5x though.
Bob

If it is 6x, 8 degree FOV is very narrow. Many 8x can do that with large sweet area. I like spitfiretriple's formula to interpret the FOV. Manufacturers should all report the AFOV in their spec to rid of the magnification variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back