• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helping to protect fledglings (1 Viewer)

nutsie81

Hi,

This morning I went out to get a paper and noticed a baby sparrow by my front door. Both parents continue to feed it, which is good, but I am very worried about it. Firstly it has deformed feet which means it's not very good at either flying or hopping but I expect it will just learn to cope with this. My main concern is that my house is on a very busy road and we regularly get cats and foxes in the front garden at night. Is there anything I can put down that would help protect it at night>? I am thinking of something like a box with hay/ straw or similar but I don't want to do it if the baby will then pick up my scent from the straw/ hay and then the parents will desert it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also if you think it's deformed feet mean that I should actually take it to the local animal rescue please do tell me but I'm assuming that if birds can cope with one foot that they will learn to cope with funny feet!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back