• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire, UK - What is this raptor? (1 Viewer)

MartinSykes

Hi, I'm hoping someone can ID this bird for me.

I was out today when my father-in-law spotted a couple of these way up high. I luckily had my camera with me but even at full zoom (18x) it's still a small image but is hopefully enough. There was more than one of these so although I live very near to the Cheshire Wildlife Centre which does have a number of exotic raptors it's less likely to be an escapee.

They just seemed to be circling - it was a nice sunny day with decent thermals.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 117
OK thanks. I thought the wings looked too pointed and small in relation to the body to be a buzzard but the behaviour fits. We do get a lot of them here and the wings always look much larger and more rectangular.

OK thanks. I thought the wings looked too pointed and small in relation to the body to be a buzzard but the behaviour fits. We do get a lot of them here and the wings always look much larger and more rectangular.

When on a downward glide Buzzards will sometimes look more pointed on the wings, hence they look longer.

CB

Martin, the wings look more pointed than normal because they are not being held straight and the primaries are being held together rather than splayed as a result. Sparrowhawk can also do this and conversely when a Kestrel holds its wing staright it also spreads its primaries a bit which makes them look blunt-tipped compared to normal (can also see this when it hovers, but it is difficult at that speed).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back