• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Kitchen Bins' - Reverse Porro vs Low-end Roof (1 Viewer)

The Kerreran

Has hat, will stand in the rain
Here's my problem;
My parents have a small garden with assorted feeders, which they can watch from their kitchen window. I'd like to get them a pair of Kitchen Bins to stay there and let them enjoy the birds more easily - at the moment they're borrowing my old 10x42s, which aren't really up to the job due primarily to lack of close focus [Which needs to be 4m or less].
I am not allowed to spend a lot of money on them* - going much over £100 will get me in trouble - but I don't want to get them £40 stuff either [they have proper bins with silver Kestrels on, so appreciate a decent view...]. The bins in question also need to be compact and waterproof - there's steam and limited space to keep them.

After all that babble, we're talking about reverse porros of maybe 8x25 or so versus low-end roofs around the 8x32 scale. I've read a lot of specs but have very little experience of using them [especially the porros] and I might not have time to find and try for myself - so, can anyone shed any light on the issue? Are the newer roofs like the Hawke Endurance and Nature-Trek and Opticron Natureview a match for reverse porros like the Nikon Travelite and Bushnell H2O?

[[*Kitchen Bins of choice would be Nikon EIIs/SEs or Zeiss Classic 8x56s of course! ;) ]]

The Opticron Taiga 8x25 reverse porros get excellent reviews and would appear to fit the bill. The only thing is they are not waterproof and if they are actually used in a kitchen there could be a remote chance of them steaming up. I can't really see it being a problem though.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The trouble is that the 'place where the bins go' is right next to my Dad's coffee machine, so when I say steam I mean jets of it! :eek!:

Be aware that as we get older our ability to gain any benefit from large exit pupils diminishes, so aim for less than 4mm.
Porro prisms better value than roof at the lower price range
Dare I suggest a second hand pair of East German Zeiss 8x30 - available from eBay?

Hi Tom,

In your price range I personally feel the reverse porros are the way to go (if buying new). I've not tried the the Pentax Papilo but it gets a lot of praise, particularly for it's close focus. It might be a bit dim at this time of year. I don't think the Opticron Taiga is waterproof, but I thought the view pretty good.The Nikon Travelite EX is waterproof, quite different in the view, but probably on a par with the Opticrons. However I personally preferred the much cheaper, non waterproof Olympus Tracker PCI. My guess is that unless the coffee machine sprays the bins or you expect them to be taken from the humid kitchen out into the cold then it shouldn't be a problem.

I was about to go for the Olympus myself, but was offered the much more expensive (non-waterproof) Bushnell 7x26 Elite (Custom) to test. No contest! I've not regretted paying the extra, but do take a lot more care when using them in the kitchen etc. But then, at that price there are roofs worth considering.... but non I would personally trade for the Bushnells.

David

I would have suggested the Yosemites as well but the close focus is 16.5ft/5m. Can you move the feeders? ;)

I would have suggested the Yosemites as well but the close focus is 16.5ft/5m. Can you move the feeders? ;)

I don't know how accurate that is. As I recall mine were about 10 feet in actual use. And I have a 68mm+/- IPD. I'll have to check them again. My brother has them now and uses them all the time on his deck.
Bob

Here's my problem;
My parents have a small garden with assorted feeders, which they can watch from their kitchen window. I'd like to get them a pair of Kitchen Bins to stay there and let them enjoy the birds more easily - at the moment they're borrowing my old 10x42s, which aren't really up to the job due primarily to lack of close focus [Which needs to be 4m or less].
I am not allowed to spend a lot of money on them* - going much over £100 will get me in trouble - but I don't want to get them £40 stuff either [they have proper bins with silver Kestrels on, so appreciate a decent view...]. The bins in question also need to be compact and waterproof - there's steam and limited space to keep them.

After all that babble, we're talking about reverse porros of maybe 8x25 or so versus low-end roofs around the 8x32 scale. I've read a lot of specs but have very little experience of using them [especially the porros] and I might not have time to find and try for myself - so, can anyone shed any light on the issue? Are the newer roofs like the Hawke Endurance and Nature-Trek and Opticron Natureview a match for reverse porros like the Nikon Travelite and Bushnell H2O?

[[*Kitchen Bins of choice would be Nikon EIIs/SEs or Zeiss Classic 8x56s of course! ;) ]]

When I seen the heading I imediately thought of my own "Kitchen Bins" Nikon E11s but then I read on. If I looking for a pair of kitchen bins I would look for a mag 7 as my garden is not too big and therefore no need for extra mag and a wide fov. I'm sure there is a good secondhand pair for sale on the many optics sites.

There's a waterproof reverse porro in the Opticron range at under £100 RRP. The HR WP comes as 8x26 or 10x26. Close focus is specified at 3.5 metres.

Cheers, Pete

Thanks for all your help everyone!

So, taking the 'reverse porros beat low-end roofs' advice, and allowing for requirements and the possibility of actually finding them, we have a short list;

Nikon Travelite [if I can get it on offer]
Bushnell H2O [Likewise]
Opticron HR WP
Olympus Tracker PCI [Not waterproof, but reviews good enough to merit inclusion]
Opticron Taiga [Ditto]

Of those four, if you had to pick, which would you?
[I think I'm going to have to find at least a couple and give them a go...]

There's an optics event in Exmouth:

Exmouth Nature Reserve, Exmouth, 7/12

Run by In Focus so you may not get to see all you want to but probably worth giving them a call to see what they will have e.g. Nikon and Opticron. Jessops in Exeter should be able to show you the Bushnell. And the Olympus... maybe Devon Camera Centre or LCE Exeter??? Not sure.

Cheers, Pete

Hi

I have the HR WP 8x26 I take them to work / leave in the car etc.....

Mine focus closer than the 3.5 m specified above maybe around 2.5m?
The optics are good nice and bright
They are waterproof which was the reason I chose them over others inc the Taiga
They feel very well made and I expect them to last
Field of view is a little narrow although not a huge problem

I decided waterproof was a requirement if not I would have paid a little less and gone for the Taiga however I am very happy with the HRWP

Hope this helps
Lee

Hi

I have the HR WP 8x26 I take them to work / leave in the car etc.....

Mine focus closer than the 3.5 m specified above maybe around 2.5m?
The optics are good nice and bright
They are waterproof which was the reason I chose them over others inc the Taiga
They feel very well made and I expect them to last
Field of view is a little narrow although not a huge problem

I decided waterproof was a requirement if not I would have paid a little less and gone for the Taiga however I am very happy with the HRWP

Hope this helps
Lee
It's good to hear of your experience with these binoculars, Lee. I have thought for some time that the specifications look good but I haven't seen any reviews of them. They would appear to be an ideal choice for secondary or kitchen binoculars. The narrow field of view shouldn't be an issue when it comes to watching birds in the garden.

Ron

l have about 5pairs, and like my little leica 10x25 but costly , my son gave me some vouchers so l bought the nikon travelite 10x25 about £100 and are very good , but ask his friends to get vouchers from you know where ( Stlll not sure wether we can promots names) ill ask Jess,, the more the merry vouchers Rick Ward

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back