• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Received My Docter 10x40b Aspheric's Today (1 Viewer)

optiman

Hi All,
I wanted to share my thought's on these: Today i received a pair of used Docter's 10x40b Aspheric's from a birder here on BF. I was very unsure and weary of these bin's, as there was little information on them. I was BLOWN away by their quality. I mean BLOWN away. They compare very favourably to the branded and popular Nikon 8x32 SE. That's saying a lot. The crisp and brightness is superb. They're ergonomically beautiful to hold. I am not a big believer in 10x's, but, these have minimal shake to boot. Waterproof and tough as nails. Armoured to the gill's would be my way of putting it. The focusing knob works as the diaptor also - a dual one. I'll try to post pictures soon if there's much attention. I was told they're on par with Meopta's Meostar (?) the Czechoslovakia makers... If anyone has these: (Docters) or anyone can give me more information, I'd be very curious on your thoughts. :t:

Last edited:
If anyone has these: (Docters) or anyone can give me more information, I'd be very curious on your thoughts. :t:

Glad you're pleased, Optiman. My understanding is that this model updated the Zeiss Jena 10 x 40 Notarem when Docter took over the Zeiss Jena Eisfeld plant. The Notarems were designed to compete with the Zeiss West 10 x 40 Classic and were optically OK in their time but suffered from lack of phase coating and miserable build quality. Later models from Docter (I own the 10 x 42) are remarkably good binoculars.

So you came back to the Docter and ended up buying it. I was sort of watching that one to see if anybody bought it. I am glad you like it!! The eye cups seemed funny to me.

Glad you're pleased, Optiman. My understanding is that this model updated the Zeiss Jena 10 x 40 Notarem when Docter took over the Zeiss Jena Eisfeld plant. The Notarems were designed to compete with the Zeiss West 10 x 40 Classic and were optically OK in their time but suffered from lack of phase coating and miserable build quality. Later models from Docter (I own the 10 x 42) are remarkably good binoculars.

Thanks chartwell99,
That's great information. I knew they we're competing with Zeiss West and this was never going to happen. Since Docter took over, their range was competitive and strong to a slow growing market of 'cheaper binoculars' for the layman i believe. I have the old Jena's 8x30's and they're good. Ok, they're NOT Zeiss, but, a very nice, cheap medium collectable porro.

So you came back to the Docter and ended up buying it. I was sort of watching that one to see if anybody bought it. I am glad you like it!! The eye cups seemed funny to me.

Hi Steve,
Yes, it was bugging me looking at them and had to buy. 'Curiosity killed the cat'.
I got 'em 'for a song'. The eye cups are funny. But, you know what....they sit in to your eye sockets like a snug glove in your hand. ;)

Doesn't matter what they look like sometimes, just so they work ok. Yep good price for it I would say. You just have to take a chance sometimes.

Docter was afaik the first producer of aspheric lenses for consumer binoculars. They are a specialty optics house.
They sold a small 8x22 which was very favorably reviewed, as well as other aspheric lens models such as this one here..
However, Analytik Jena, which took over the binocular business from Docter, pretty much abandoned the use of aspherics in the current models, with only the old Nobilem porro designs together with some open bridge roofs still available under the Docter name.

etudiant;2011317 However said:
The website still shows the BCF closed bridge models (8 x 42 and 10 x 42). The 10x (which I still own) is an especially nice wide field binocular. To my knowledge, none of the roof models, open or closed bridge, are made in Germany, and are actually presumably made somewhere (not specified) in Asia. That manufacturing outsourcing may account for the abandonment of the use of aspherics.

Docter was afaik the first producer of aspheric lenses for consumer binoculars. They are a specialty optics house.
They sold a small 8x22 which was very favorably reviewed, as well as other aspheric lens models such as this one here..
However, Analytik Jena, which took over the binocular business from Docter, pretty much abandoned the use of aspherics in the current models, with only the old Nobilem porro designs together with some open bridge roofs still available under the Docter name.

Hi etudiant,
Very good. Nicely put. Your obviously 'educated' in Docter bins...is aspheric like an older version of ED/FL glass? I've no lens caps when i purchased these. The guy lost 'em. Pity as they're a sweet glass. Any suggestions as to where i can get covers..
Thanks.

The website still shows the BCF closed bridge models (8 x 42 and 10 x 42). The 10x (which I still own) is an especially nice wide field binocular. To my knowledge, none of the roof models, open or closed bridge, are made in Germany, and are actually presumably made somewhere (not specified) in Asia. That manufacturing outsourcing may account for the abandonment of the use of aspherics.

Very good chartwell99.
So mine..(10x40B Aspheric) IS East German made i presume?

Afaik, all the Docter aspherics were new designs and were only made in Germany.
Docter was a small industrial specialty shop, such as are often found in Germany, which had neither the marketing skills nor the resources needed to make o go of a high end consumer product. They took over the Zeiss Jena plant with some government help and did try to innovate their way to leadership with cast aspheric lenses, a technology Docter had pioneered.. They eventually ended their involvement, but their name carries on.
Your 10x42s are not derived from the old Zeiss Jena Notarem, but rather are part of Docter's initial new design.family. I believe the aspherics are only used in the eye pieces, probably to flatten the field and perhaps to reduce CA. They also had better eye relief than the corresponding conventional versions offered by Docter.
I've long been looking for one of their 8x22 aspherics, so far w/o success. The logo for them includes a stylized alpha, otherwise they are indistinguishable.

I believe the aspherics are only used in the eye pieces, probably to flatten the field and perhaps to reduce CA.

Aspherical lenses are used to flatten the field but they have no effect on CA (directly though a cunning designer minimzes CA across the whole design by choosing the right materials).

There is usually only one per barrel (that's all you need).

Most of the Japanese aspherical lenses take the route of bonding CR39 or similar plastic material to a glass lens and casting the CR39 in an aspherical mold. It's an inexpensive process and the CR39 has a pretty good Abbe number.

The Docter 10x40B is post-1989 German reunification.

Holger has one (as his own bin) and seems to like it.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/docter_leaflets/docter.html
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/dialyt10x40.html

Holger is right about the 10 x 42 BCF being a special binocular and I could resist sharing his observation:

The Docter B/CF is a real high tech machine. I was unable to detect any significant weakness in this binocular. It is not only well constructed, but comes with a pretty wide angle of view and a compact body. The coating seems to be of highest quality, and the image is bright and of high contrast. Image sharpness close to the edge is poor, but this is tolerable in a wide angle glass. Despite of the 'B' feature, spectacle wearer may have some trouble to see the entire field with glasses on.

Aspherical lenses are used to flatten the field but they have no effect on CA (directly though a cunning designer minimzes CA across the whole design by choosing the right materials).

There is usually only one per barrel (that's all you need).

Most of the Japanese aspherical lenses take the route of bonding CR39 or similar plastic material to a glass lens and casting the CR39 in an aspherical mold. It's an inexpensive process and the CR39 has a pretty good Abbe number.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/docter_leaflets/docter.html
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/dialyt10x40.html

Thanks guys with all your comments! Very interesting and analytical. Thanks also for the link. :t:

Holger is right about the 10 x 42 BCF being a special binocular and I could resist sharing his observation:

The Docter B/CF is a real high tech machine. I was unable to detect any significant weakness in this binocular. It is not only well constructed, but comes with a pretty wide angle of view and a compact body. The coating seems to be of highest quality, and the image is bright and of high contrast. Image sharpness close to the edge is poor, but this is tolerable in a wide angle glass. Despite of the 'B' feature, spectacle wearer may have some trouble to see the entire field with glasses on.

So, in a nutshell: The 10x42 BCF is much better constructed - optically?... by far... or, is my 10x40B's on a par with them? Is it like a Zeiss Conquest compared to a Zeiss FL...?? (i know my comparison is a bit construed)

Thank you Kevin and Chartwell99 for your helpful and informative input. It's always a nicety of BF, there are contributors who really know whereof they speak, so one can learn something new.
In light of their new inputs, it looks like Optiman's 10x40B is the revised version of the Zeiss Jena Notarem, improved by Docter with aspheric eyepiece lenses, weather sealing and rubber armor. It was made at the Eisfeld plant that produced most of the Zeiss Jena binoculars.
I do not know where or from whose components the newer 10x42BCF was built. Analytik Jena did sell several binocular models that were either fully or partly foreign sourced, but the Docter brand glasses may have not been among those.

So, in a nutshell: The 10x42 BCF is much better constructed - optically?... by far... or, is my 10x40B's on a par with them? Is it like a Zeiss Conquest compared to a Zeiss FL...?? (i know my comparison is a bit construed)

The chief problem with the Zeiss Jena Notarem glasses is the dual axis focus and diopter mechanism. When haphazardly made (as was the regrettable case for the Zeiss Jena Eisfeld operation), one telescope barrel has a tendency to disengage from the focusing mechanism for no apparent reason. Presumably (and hopefully) your Docter-made binocular willl not be afflicted. The later Docter 10 x 42 BCF also puts the diopter adjustment under the focusing knob (similar to the late model Bausch & Lomb Discoverer roofs) but the mechanism is different and appears much more robust. The later model is also phase coated with more modern coatings and much better optics.

Interestingly, the armor on your Docter is not rubber but rather a high tech elastomer, which is probably the reason for the unusual eyecups.

Last edited:
The chief problem with the Zeiss Jena Notarem glasses is the dual axis focus and diopter mechanism. When haphazardly made (as was the regrettable case for the Zeiss Jena Eisfeld operation), one telescope barrel has a tendency to disengage from the focusing mechanism for no apparent reason. Presumably (and hopefully) your Docter-made binocular willl not be afflicted. The later Docter 10 x 42 BCF also puts the diopter adjustment under the focusing knob (similar to the late model Bausch & Lomb Discoverer roofs) but the mechanism is different and appears much more robust. The later model is also phase coated with more modern coatings and much better optics.

Interestingly, the armor on your Docter is not rubber but rather a high tech elastomer, which is probably the reason for the unusual eyecups.
Hi chartwell99,
well, that puts that to bed: mine are inferior optically to the newer 10x42 BCF's...I really believed they were optically as good, alas not so. I still 'feel' they're very good, sharp and minute CA - through my eyes anyway. I really put 'em to the test today in very low light. They really were pin sharp, great natural colour rendition. The dual axis dioptor focusing knob does take some time to get used to. Can mine be possibly compared to an 'alpha' out there?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back