• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Marc Suller

I would be grateful for an id of this flycatcher. It was taken at monteverde clould forest in Costa Rica. I initially thought it was a Nuttings but then noticed the lack of wing bars. Seems too light for a dusky capped but I may be wrong.

Thanks, Marc

Attachments

• flycatcher.jpg
    flycatcher.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Carlos

The photo was taken with early morning sun shining directly onto the bird. I have not altered the photo at all apart from resizing.

Hi Marc,

Nutting's would also not be found in cloud forest, being a bird of more open thorn forest closer to sea level.

Chris

Agree it's a Dusky-capped. Nutting's is rarely found in the lower parts of the Monteverde area (Finca ecológica, Bajo del Tigre, Valle de San Luis etc), not in the cloud forest reserves.

Last edited:
Dusky-capped for me too. In addition to habitat, no wing bars (as you mentioned), "saturated" appearance, and rather dainty, mostly dark bill point to this species.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back