• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving Large Natural Tangled Vine Bird Haven (1 Viewer)

lpatrick

Very near our small man made pond is a massive trumpet bramble (thornless) sitting atop our and side yard neighbors fences. This bramble is currently home to many small birds. Unbeknowance to us this bramble along with the from ground trumpet vines have severly damaged our neighbors side yard fence. We hope to somehow cut the entangled bramble structure free then relocate it to a freestanding purpose built stand. After this is accomplished we can deal with both fences and eradication of the destructive trumpet vine.

I need to know if moving the birds natural home can be successful? I dreed the idea of harming the birds habitat yet it must be done. We truly need some knowledgeable help.

Thanks

I'm no gardener so pardon any "gardening mistakes" I might make.
not sure what the seasons are like where you live but in northern England, now would probably be a good time to undertake this work. The bush is dormant and the birds that live there in spring and summer will be elsewhere and/or living off feeders/berries/seeds

If you are in one of those places that doesn't really have seasons, as such, then you'll just have to bite the bullet and move the bush, hoping that the birds move with it.
Of course it may be the case that they won't move at all, as the shelter between the bush and the fence is what they are looking for and not just the bush itself.

I suspect that doesn't help much but good luck

Thanks for replying. Here in North Texas we sometimes do not have true four seasons. Having a mildist winter the birds are really enjoying our pond and feeder. After my write up I realize moving the bramble may not be pratical. Maybe I'll upload photos.

I've never heard of a "trumpet bramble" (and neither has Google) but I suspect that disentangling the vines from the fence is a lost cause. You might try cutting the damaged section of fence and moving the whole fence + vines unit.

That's assuming you can get access to the stems so you can dig them up, without chopping away half the vines.

Another option: move what you can, even if it's not much. Most brambles grow pretty quickly; the birds will find it again once it grows back.

I've never heard of a "trumpet bramble" (and neither has Google) but I suspect that disentangling the vines from the fence is a lost cause. You might try cutting the damaged section of fence and moving the whole fence + vines unit.

That's assuming you can get access to the stems so you can dig them up, without chopping away half the vines.

Another option: move what you can, even if it's not much. Most brambles grow pretty quickly; the birds will find it again once it grows back.

It's actually mutiple trumpet vines that have become tangled together to form the big bramble. Due to the extensive damage the vines have caused (destroyed six fence sections) we will be cutting then killing the root systems. We have to replace our neighbors side fence and ours. :-C

Is this the culprit? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campsis_radicans. Sounds like a bit of a thug so I'd be tempted to dig up part of a root and transplant it to a sturdy cage and keep it trimmed back (under control ). By the sound of it it should be back to 'normal' in no time. Don't like the sound of it being easily grown from seed so I'd be tempted to hire a horticultural flame gun + give the ground a good roasting after you've dug out the rest.

Chris

Yes, that's it!

They can be pruned very hard - even to leave no leaf- no problem at all! As they grow back you can tie in the branches you want, where you want - they are very rugged but quite beautiful! I've pruned them many times in Spain, where they are common garden climbers. Best do it quickly before any birds start making nests!!!

In my experience they are not invasive - ie; they don't self seed all over the place at least down here....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back