• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra has a baby (1 Viewer)

I think someone let the :cat: out of the bag prematurely.
No mention of the 8x32 Terras on the Zeiss website or anywhere else I can find.

Makes sense to release them in this format and many have been speculating about it.

That particular price (379 Euros or $475.00 US) is higher than the 8x42 Terra ED which sells at Eagle Optics for $399.99, which doesn't make sense. It is also higher than Nikon's Monarch 7 8x30 by about $100.00. Maybe it will sell for less when and if it is announced by Zeiss?

Bob

That particular price (379 Euros or $475.00 US) is higher than the 8x42 Terra ED which sells at Eagle Optics for $399.99, which doesn't make sense. It is also higher than Nikon's Monarch 7 8x30 by about $100.00. Maybe it will sell for less when and if it is announced by Zeiss?

Bob

Down here the retailprice for a 8x42 Terra is 450,00 euro.
It's not fair:C:C:C The USA is, according to the OESO, the richest country in the World and has the LOWEST prices.
What are we doing wrong;)?

Jan

Looks nice. Anyone know the field of view (FOV) numbers?

Down here the retailprice for a 8x42 Terra is 450,00 euro.
It's not fair:C:C:C The USA is, according to the OESO, the richest country in the World and has the LOWEST prices.
What are we doing wrong;)?

Jan

VAT?

Looks nice. Anyone know the field of view (FOV) numbers?

VAT?

Sorry Bruce, I didn't ask that question.

VAT means Value Added Tax, and basically it is a sales tax.
The French call it TVA just to be awkward :king:

Lee

Lee ... thanks for the response.

I bought a Monarch 7 8X30 beginning of Sept so I was curious how the FOV of the new Terra compared to the very wide FOV of the Monarch. The other unusual feature of the Monarch is the low weight. I am also curious to find out the weight of the new Terra. The Nikon is a 30mm so it may not be best to directly compare to the 32 mm Terra.

I was using a Tablet and trying to save key strokes when I responded above with just the word "VAT?". What I ment to say was that maybe the reason the prices are less in the US is due to the lack of the additional tax. I ended with a question mark to mean I do not know what European country do and do not have a VAT tax. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Not all European retailers squeeze out as much of their customers as Jan ;)

Best prices in Germany range from 350 to 400 €, which includes 19% VAT, so is moreless the same as the 399 $ in the US.

Lee ... thanks for the response.

I bought a Monarch 7 8X30 beginning of Sept so I was curious how the FOV of the new Terra compared to the very wide FOV of the Monarch. The other unusual feature of the Monarch is the low weight. I am also curious to find out the weight of the new Terra. The Nikon is a 30mm so it may not be best to directly compare to the 32 mm Terra.

I was using a Tablet and trying to save key strokes when I responded above with just the word "VAT?". What I ment to say was that maybe the reason the prices are less in the US is due to the lack of the additional tax. I ended with a question mark to mean I do not know what European country do and do not have a VAT tax. Sorry for the confusion.

OK Bruce, no sweat.

Terra 32 weights 510 gms so its about 18 ozs

Lee

Interesting development. I like the Terra ' s optics but I have to say the look and feel of the binocular is awful. I've never felt anything so cheap. The armouring is awful and the two colours make it look like something you would buy for £29.99 in the supermarket.

This is only my opinion but I think the little blue shield sends many people starry eyed ;)

Interesting development. I like the Terra ' s optics but I have to say the look and feel of the binocular is awful. I've never felt anything so cheap. The armouring is awful and the two colours make it look like something you would buy for £29.99 in the supermarket.

This is only my opinion but I think the little blue shield sends many people starry eyed ;)

The Terra is designed as an entry level binocular and for the price is a great product. I have a great choice of binoculars but use a Terra 8x42 when I walk my dogs along the river.

Of the 2 colours available in the UK I think the grey version is fine.

This is probably the first time a binocular with Zeiss optics (and yes they are Zeiss optics) has been available at this price point and they will introduce newcomers to the brand and possibly encourage them to invest in higher models within the brand - and if they do the px value of the Terra will be high because of the name on it.

I work in service at Zeiss and trust me - the Terra ia a very reliable binocular which will last for years.

Gary

Gary,

I've found one Terra I'd be pleased to own the other four I've tried weren't very sharp at all. Gerold Dobler insisted the Chinese transport system was to blame for the inconsistency of the product reaching the shelves. :eek!:

David

Last edited:
The Terra is designed as an entry level binocular and for the price is a great product. I have a great choice of binoculars but use a Terra 8x42 when I walk my dogs along the river.

Of the 2 colours available in the UK I think the grey version is fine.

This is probably the first time a binocular with Zeiss optics (and yes they are Zeiss optics) has been available at this price point and they will introduce newcomers to the brand and possibly encourage them to invest in higher models within the brand - and if they do the px value of the Terra will be high because of the name on it.

I work in service at Zeiss and trust me - the Terra ia a very reliable binocular which will last for years.

Gary

Gary,

If I may ask, since I can't get an accurate answer to the question customers ask: "Why is there only 2 years on guarantee on the Terra if it is such a very reliable bin which will last for years?".

Jan

Gary,

If I may ask, since I can't get an accurate answer to the question customers ask: "Why is there only 2 years on guarantee on the Terra if it is such a very reliable bin which will last for years?".

Jan

Jan:

I'm not Gary, but the warranty in the US and Canada for the Terra binocular, is the Limited Lifetime transferrable warranty. And that is the same as the rest of the models.

I like the comfort of that.

I find the Terra to be a nice value in this price range.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back