• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra Now in Camo (1 Viewer)

BruceH

While browsing the B & H Photo website yesterday I happened to notice that they are listing the Zeiss Terra 8X42 and 10X42 as a New Arrival with camo armoring. I believe the USA market has only been offering it in black until now. Looks like the camo model is about $20 more. The only site I found it on so far is B & H. I could not find anything on the Zeiss site.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...524206_9904_000_10x42_terra_ed_binocular.html

How about a camo Zeiss HT?

I associate most camo binoculars with the lower price scale. So if camo conveys a lower end product, then I doubt we would see a camo HT any time soon.

If I were looking for a binocular primarily for hunting, the HT would be my first choice. Zeiss marketing for the HT introduction was heavily geared for the hunting crowd. It seems a camo HT would be a good fit, but from a marketing stand point, that my not convey the image Zeiss wants for a $2,000 binocular.

Maybe they could follow the Leica example and come out with a special edition limited Camo model. Tie it in with a group such as Ducks Unlimited with some of the proceeds going to such a group. Benefiting such a group would appeal to hunters and many birders as well. Put some commemorative badging on the side and that could make it a desirable limited item.

The camo HT comments are posted for light discussion with just a tad amount of seriousness. Camo has become big business and it amazes me when watching some of the outdoor shows to see how many items are now in camo. Have some fun with it along with comments on the camo Terra.

Last edited:
While browsing the B & H Photo website yesterday I happened to notice that they are listing the Zeiss Terra 8X42 and 10X42 as a New Arrival with camo armoring. I believe the USA market has only been offering it in black until now. Looks like the camo model is about $20 more. The only site I found it on so far is B & H. I could not find anything on the Zeiss site.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...524206_9904_000_10x42_terra_ed_binocular.html

How about a camo Zeiss HT?

I associate most camo binoculars with the lower price scale. So if camo conveys a lower end product, then I doubt we would see a camo HT any time soon.

If I were looking for a binocular primarily for hunting, the HT would be my first choice. Zeiss marketing for the HT introduction was heavily geared for the hunting crowd. It seems a camo HT would be a good fit, but from a marketing stand point, that my not convey the image Zeiss wants for a $2,000 binocular.

Maybe they could follow the Leica example and come out with a special edition limited Camo model. Tie it in with a group such as Ducks Unlimited with some of the proceeds going to such a group. Benefiting such a group would appeal to hunters and many birders as well. Put some commemorative badging on the side and that could make it a desirable limited item.

The camo HT comments are posted for light discussion with just a tad amount of seriousness. Camo has become big business and it amazes me when watching some of the outdoor shows to see how many items are now in camo. Have some fun with it along with comments on the camo Terra.

You have eagle eyes Bruce.

Its being offered in Canada too: http://www.binocularscanada.com/enet-cart/product.asp?pid=5242059904

Since I'm not a hunter my opinion is not worth the bandwidth that I am transmitting on :-O. But the Terra looks pretty cool in camo so I don't see why HT wouldn't look good too :smoke:

Lee

I am not a fan of camo binoculars. One problem is that some versions have the camo
as a thin covering over the typical rubber armor. I have seen some that peel and come
off. That really looks bad. I'm thinking that is the case here, it would be hard to mold
in a multi-color.

I don't think Zeiss will do the HT in camo. I know I would not buy one.

Jerry

Camo binos are bought primarily by new / novice / entry level hunters who buy into the camo-essential philosophy / fallacy. Current typical entry level camo roofs include models from Leupold, the Nikon Monarch 5, and Vanguard Endeavor ED. It makes sense for Zeiss to widen the entry level appeal of the Terra by offering it in a camo livery.

I agree with Jerry that used camo binos can look a little rough and it has to be said that buying a camo bino new will limit your resale market if you ever came to sell it.

Perhaps Lee can post some photos of his pink camo Zeiss SF in use in the Western Isles this summer ? :t:

Perhaps Lee can post some photos of his pink camo Zeiss SF in use in the Western Isles this summer ? :t:

Sam you are just being silly now, BUT, I have seen pics of army and naval stuff painted in arctic camouflage of slanting blocks of pale grey-blue and dark grey-blue and it looks quite smart.

This could be handy in a few years time when global warming switches off the Gulf Stream and the Western Isles revert to tundra.

Lee

I was at the local riparian this weekend and one of the highlights were some Hooded Mergansers swimming in one of the small ponds.

It is considered unusual for the area and so it did create some excitement. I noticed a lady sitting partially in the bushes along the shore taking pictures. She had a camera on a tripod with a huge telephoto lens and it was in camo. I suspect you could buy two or more alphas for what that lens must of cost. The point being, here is a high end optic used by a birder done in camo.

As a side note, there were three birds, two females and one male, all absolutely gorgous. The setting was picture perfect and the birds were close and as calm as could be in plain sight. One could not ask for a better picture opportunity. Of course I was there without my camera. :C Ugh.

I was at the local riparian this weekend and one of the highlights were some Hooded Mergansers swimming in one of the small ponds.

As a side note, there were three birds, two females and one male, all absolutely gorgous. The setting was picture perfect and the birds were close and as calm as could be in plain sight. One could not ask for a better picture opportunity. Of course I was there without my camera. :C Ugh.

Bruce you lucky barsteward ;)

What lovely birds these are. Annabeth had one of these a couple of weeks back too. I am a nearly Swaro shade of green with envy. How embarrasing. :-O

Lee

Samandag ..... Those covers are really cool. Thanks for the link. She may have been using one like that, but I respected her space and did not get that close to tell. Even if it were a cover, she is at least one birder who uses camo with her optics.

I just read the post by Mike P. saying Zeiss got together with Under Armour to come out with a special 32 mm camo Terra. Maybe they can get Under Armour to develop a camo sleeve for the HT and SF. That way the savvy birder can have it both ways. I do not see me wanting to buy a high priced camo binocular, but the sleeve would be fine since it is not permanent and it may be beneficial when trying to say concealed. I do find myself slowly walking up to the edge of a pond, trying to keep bushes and such between and whatever I want to look at.

The second link had a statement that birds can see Ultraviolet. The is new info for me. I have seen infrared images but do not recall seeing UV images. Turns out Wikepedia has a page on UV photography. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_photography

The point he was making is that camo may be a wasted effort since it will only conceal visible light and not the UV light. However I know from people who pursue doves that the doves are less likely to veer if the person is wearing camo. Also those that pursue ducks are big into camo. Considering how much that stuff cost, they must think it works.

Lee -- You are right, I was lucky to see them, what gorgeous birds. I think this is the first I have ever seen, at least since I have gotten serious about ID'ing birds.

Since this is the Zeiss sub-forum, I was using the 8X42 Terra. It did a great job presenting that beautiful image. It was a small pond with green and some brown reeds as a backdrop. The water was dead calm and they were just swimming back and forth in about a 40 ft (12 meter) area in bright late afternoon back lit sunlight. To make it even better, there was bench to sit on making for a steady hold. I watched them through the Terra for about 15 minutes doing whatever Mergansers do. I did return on Sunday with my camera but unfortunately, they moved on. I was Zeiss blue (depressed) on Saturday for not having my camera.

The second link had a statement that birds can see Ultraviolet. The is new info for me. I have seen infrared images but do not recall seeing UV images. Turns out Wikepedia has a page on UV photography. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_photography

The point he was making is that camo may be a wasted effort since it will only conceal visible light and not the UV light. However I know from people who pursue doves that the doves are less likely to veer if the person is wearing camo. Also those that pursue ducks are big into camo. Considering how much that stuff cost, they must think it works.

This is a growing field of research and one which may yield many benefits for all concerned.

It has been known for a while that deer ‘see’ very much more in the blue end of the spectrum than they do in the red ; I find it very amusing to see tv ‘naturalists’ patrolling the woods wearing their blue jeans (but not from now on I bet :news: ).

Another factor to take into consideration is the action of optical whiteners in washing detergents on your clothes. If your girl accidentally washes your birding jacket with Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White you may glow like sci fi in the eyes of a perching beholder.

Meanwhile for those who buy into the camo essential philosophy if it gives you confidence then that is a good thing even if that is the only advantage you have bought.

Best wishes,

Sam you are just being silly now, BUT, I have seen pics of army and naval stuff painted in arctic camouflage of slanting blocks of pale grey-blue and dark grey-blue and it looks quite smart.

This could be handy in a few years time when global warming switches off the Gulf Stream and the Western Isles revert to tundra.

Lee

Lee, where do you intend to blend in with that pink camo SF? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back