• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cardinal in Essex (1 Viewer)

Ed Woods

Not my picture but taken from a Facebook page - a Cardinal photographed in Stanford-le-Hope Essex. An aviary escapee?

Attachments

• Cardinal Essex.jpg
    Cardinal Essex.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 745
Given how common it is in the states I see no reason this couldn't be a boat-hopper. HBW say the following of four ringing recoveries involving over 1000km dispersal events:
"The most distant recoveries involved movements from Illinois SE to North Carolina, New Jersey E to Kansas, Arkansas N to Ontario and South Carolina N to Quebec. As revealed by one study covering ringing data up to 1962, those recovered at significant distances from ringing site were largely first-years; no difference in mobility between sexes. Directions of dispersal relatively random, with no predominant heading. Occurrences of individuals at locations well removed from recorded breeding range also indicate mobility; for example, one on shores of James Bay (Ontario) was 750 km N of current breeding range, while one in NE Newfoundland was more than 1200 km outside range, including not fewer than 110 km of open ocean. In Hawaiian group, race canicaudus, introduced on Kauai, Oahu and Hawaii, has subsequently colonized many other islands, apparently without further human intervention; three records on Nihoa, which would involve over-water movement of 275 km from nearest population."

In my book it's no worse a candidate for vagrancy than Lark Sparrow!

Usually sedentary but they sometimes turn up in new grounds. Though, most new populations are from introduced birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back