• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

Aaargh, each time I see one for the year ,you see three :-C
I was interested to see it was only the other day that you had your first Brambling of the year Jos, do they all leave for the winter then?

Yes, plus all Chaffinches ...and the bulk of all finches, buntings, thrushes ...

re Feral Pigeons

Find that unbelievable! Probably the most abundant flyover species from my garden.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek as had just managed to see a few distant Stock Doves, whilst actively checking pigeons in flight.

Out in the country here, so it goes Woodpigeon - Collared Dove - Stock Dove - Feral Pigeon it seems. Turtle Dove - sadly highly unlikely.

Will continue to scope distant villages though, in the hope of garden listing gold...

re Feral Pigeons

Slightly tongue-in-cheek as had just managed to see a few distant Stock Doves, whilst actively checking pigeons in flight.

Out in the country here, so it goes Woodpigeon - Collared Dove - Stock Dove - Feral Pigeon it seems. Turtle Dove - sadly highly unlikely.

Will continue to scope distant villages though, in the hope of garden listing gold...

Inner suburbia but with a well-wooded park nearby, it goes Feral Pigeon - Woodpigeon - Stock Dove - Collared Dove. As for Turtle Dove - well, I'm about as likely to get Pallas's Sandgrouse. Or Passenger Pigeon.

After snow, sun and 10 C again today, good movement of Chaffinches et al northbound, plus first four Teal of the year and flock of 32 Cormorants migrating north.

64. Cormorant
65. Teal

First Comma of the season, Brimstones and Small Tortoiseshells too.

19. Crow
Richard Prior - the migrating black kites gone on . The black kite or kites here now will stay around for months they do every year.

As a late starter on this thread (which I've often looked at and thought about contributing to) my list isn't in order - I've just done it and it comes to a nice round 50 species.

My location is in the western Algarve, just west of Lagos. I live on a 1st floor apartment with views out to sea - the beach is about 250m away and I can scope some seabirds from home - though pretty naff compared to favourable locations nearby. I'm surrounded by other buildings but there are gardens and little patch of open ground next to me (500 sq m approx) with grasses, half a dozen Fig trees and a couple of old citrus. Within sight of my windows and balcony are Lemon trees, Advocado, Almond, Washingtonia fan palms, False Pepper Tree - so almost all exotic. I can view some clifftops and scrub from home too, where Iberian Grey Shrike, Blue Rock Thrush, Thekla Lark and others breed but can only rarely spot from home because its so far away - I can hear Red-necked Nightjar (soon to arrive ;)) from home too - on calm nights.

Anyway, here is the list so far:

1. Common Scoter
2. Red-legged Partridge
3. Balearic Shearwater
4. Northern Gannet
5. European Shag
6. Cattle Egret
7. Eurasian Sparrowhawk
8. Common Kestrel
9. Peregrine
10. Common Ringed Plover
11. Great Skua
12. Mediterranean Gull
13. Black-headed Gull
14. Lesser Black-backed Gull
15. Sandwich Tern
16. Razorbill
17. Collared Dove
18. Alpine Swift
19. Eurasian Hoopoe
20. Eurasian Crag-martin
21. Barn Swallow
22. Red-rumped Swallow
23. House Martin
24. Meadow Pipit
25. Grey Wagtail
26. European Robin
27. Black Redstart
28. Common Stonechat
29. Blue Rock Thrush
30. Blackbird
31. Song Thrush
32. Zitting Cisticola
33. Blackcap
34. Western Subalpine Warbler
35. Sardinian Warbler
36. Common Chiffchaff
37. Great Tit
38. Blue Tit
39. Azure-winged (Iberian) Magpie
40. Common Raven
41. Spotless Starling
42. House Sparrow
43. Common Chaffinch
44. European Serin
45. Greenfinch
46. European Goldfinch
47. Linnet
48. Corn Bunting
49. Common Waxbill
50. Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon)

I'll try and keep it updated in order from now ;)

Welcome along Simon,a new country for the thread. It's interesting that so many of us are around the 50 to 60-odd for the year despite our different locations. Waiting for the Barn Swallow here, I saw a few last week south of Geneva so they're not far off.

Welcome, Simon. A good list there - and I'm very jelous of your (future) Red-necked Nightjar - a superb bird and song.
No migrants here other than Chiffy - despite the unseasonably warm weather.

Best thing today was an afternoon Noctule Bat hunting over the valley!

Thanks for the welcomes!

I omitted:

51. Yellow-legged Gull
and 52. White Wagtail

Yes, Red-necked Nightjars are fabulous and we are lucky that they are quite common around here (but tricky to see often) - maybe their song isn't so atmospheric as European but maybe that's just me missing them. I get to see EN most autumns on migration but the last time I heard them at breeding grounds was over 10 years ago in northern Portugal.

And...on the subject of evocative songs, I was greeted by a Nightingale singing from a little garden bush between the houses here - it was singing a sort of quiet version so I thought at first it was quite far away - but it turned out to be metres away. Managed a glimpse and a long look at its rear end as it pumped it's style ;) (definitely beats Miley Cyrus :-O)

A rather early bird and certainly a migrant (my first this year) - they do breed some 500m away but never had one singing in the surrounding gardens.

53. Common Nightingale

Last edited:
After a long weekend away a Yellowhammer was waiting under the feeders when we arrived home 46. Two geese over this morning but the fog was too thick for an ID.

Welcome new garden tickers: ATBF & Simon (again garden to envy :king:)

Meanwhile in Finland:

#18. Gray Heron - one flyover
#19. Great Black-backed Gull - also one flyover

Meanwhile in Finland:

For now, the Finland/Canada contingent are definitely battling it out for last place! Spring is coming! We'll catch up....

19. Dark Eyed Junco. Seen locally much earlier in the year, but one finally showed up under my feeders today.

Welcome to the newbies from here too!

Welcome new garden tickers: ATBF & Simon (again garden to envy :king:)

Meanwhile in Finland:

Are you the most Northerly "Garden Lister" Wari?...and yes welcome to ATBF & Simon. :t:

Spring is finally on its way here although still very slow, hopefully it pick up soon....

76 Pheasant
77 Peregrine
78 Redwing
79 Siskin
80 Brambling
81 Oystercatcher
82 Puffin
83 Chiffchaff
84 Sandwich Tern
85 Grey Plover
86 Golden Plover
87 Red-legged Partridge
88 Tawny Owl
89 Redshank

Are you the most Northerly "Garden Lister" Wari?...and yes welcome to ATBF & Simon. :t:

I well might be... Even the yearly temperatures are quite similar with Jasperpatch, his garden is same level as southern France!

I'm that blue dot on map.

Attachments

• Map.PNG
    Map.PNG
    94.7 KB · Views: 53
To the newbies. Welcome even though I am going insane with jealous rage already.

Nothing new here in the east midlands for ages. looks like all the redwings have departed without coming over my little patch of suburbia and no summer migrants arrived yet.

Think i will be stuck for a while.:-C

More migration, good arrival spring birds, including White Storks (three on nests, seven soaring over), sudden arrival of Robins, first Marsh Harrier of the season, third White-tailed Eagle, one Great White Egret over, newly-arrived House Sparrows.

Also Snipe, Green Sandpiper, Goosander and Goldeneye. Great Grey Shrike still lingering.

66. White Stork
67. Marsh Harrier
68. Curlew
69. White Wagtail
70. Meadow Pipit
71. Robin
72. House Sparrow

Last edited:
I well might be... Even the yearly temperatures are quite similar with Jasperpatch, his garden is same level as southern France!

I'm that blue dot on map.

Wari that means that on BF Yard/Garden year listing with current members, you can't lose!.....as you will be the ''Top Lister'' (most Northerly). ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back