• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 100 ed Spotting Scope? (1 Viewer)

Cabo

In my hunt for a super spotting scope I have narrowed my search down to possibly the Pentax 100 ed spotting scope with the zoom eyepiece that goes up to 78x. The scope will be used on a deck from a fixed position so weight won't be a concern. I've looked at several commercial reviews, but there's no review, in my opinion, like those that are generated from independent users like you. Please, if you own or have used one of these scopes please share your knowledge? I really value your input, I'm quite open to other scope suggestions. The end result is that I would be able to read signs without the words being inverted. Whatever scope I select it will be going to Newfoundland where the air is very clear and where the air is, on most days, free of distortion. Thank you for your feedback.;)

I don't know much about the PF-100, but can suggest another to look at:
Nikon ED82 - the zoom goes up to 75X, and can be carried around if needbe.

I don't think its available in the US, but the opticron ES 100 gets a good review here:
http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

I would imagine the best option to be - if you can afford it - something like a Televue 85. I've never looked through one, but would definately like to, seeing all the reviews it's been included in seem to conclude its the best optically.

Given the price of the PF-100ED and since you don't have weight issues, I would much rather have a pair of giant binoculars like these Long Range Observation binos.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Cabo,

Here is a link to a user review of the Pentax 100 mm scope from this forum (though a couple of years old): http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=57868&highlight=Pentax

It seems like a pretty positive review. Incidentally, though it does not cover the big Pentax, here is a link to a thread containing links to the latest (2008) survey of birding scopes: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=107862

I would imagine the best option to be - if you can afford it - something like a Televue 85. I've never looked through one, but would definately like to, seeing all the reviews it's been included in seem to conclude its the best optically.

I noticed that the review of the Pentax 100 I linked to suggests that there are a lot of similar astronomical telescopes that would best traditional spotting scopes. So I am not sure there is anything special about the Televue 85, though it seems to pop up in a lot of birding reviews for some reason. One downside to these is that they are not waterproof -- not sure if that makes a difference for Cabo.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I noticed that the review of the Pentax 100 I linked to suggests that there are a lot of similar astronomical telescopes that would best traditional spotting scopes. So I am not sure there is anything special about the Televue 85, though it seems to pop up in a lot of birding reviews for some reason. One downside to these is that they are not waterproof -- not sure if that makes a difference for Cabo.

Best,
Jim

I gather that it's because, of the astro scopes, it is the most suitable for birding. On the living bird review chart, it scores the best mark out of all the scopes for image.

Last edited:
I gather because it is the best of the astronomical scopes for birding - on the living bird review chart, it scores the best mark out of all the scopes for image.

At a weight of 8 pounds, it is hardly a practical scope for birding. (That is like carrying TWO Nikon ED82's around!). Hardly any other astronomical scopes are tested in these reviews, and the Pentax 100 review I linked to indicates other similar astronomical scopes would score just as well as the Televue on image quality. So if the Televue is too heavy, and does not have better image quality than other astronomical scopes, there does not seem to be a particular reason to emphasize it in such reviews.

I personally suspect it is more of a historical oddity. Since one person tested a lighter and older put optically inferior Televue on the BVD site (Ranger), it seems to be the brand that birders look to when they want an astronomical scope to compare to, since that is the only brand they are familiar with.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I think the big Pentax is probably a better choice than an astro scope for several reasons.

1. It's waterproof. This is important not just because of water, but for dust and ease of cleaning. TV85s use a classic draw tube focuser that tend to draw in dust. The TV will also require more care under certain conditions (winter especially) as condensation can form inside where a waterproof scope is immune to this.

2. The Pentax has a built in prism. The TV would need an erector prism hung out back to correct the image for terrestrial use.

Both take astronomical eyepieces.

Regarding high power... the Pentax has a focal length of 616mm. An inexpensive 8mm Plossl EP will yield the same mag as the Pentax zoom and Pentax' own XW7 will yield 88x and will have a wider, sharper, higher mag. view than the zoom. The 100mm Pentax offers lots of EP options.

Added: I just read the review reference by Jim, http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....ghlight=Pentax
Some good points made and reads to be objective.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the PF-100, but can suggest another to look at:
Nikon ED82 - the zoom goes up to 75X, and can be carried around if needbe.

I did some checking on the ED 82 on the Nikon Forum and read through the thread: "How good/sharp is your 25-75x on ED82? " It didn't sound all that great at the higher magnifications. So, still waiting for someone that has actual experience with the Pentax 100 with the 78x zoom. Thank you all for the good information;)

Doesn't the Televue 85 invert the image so signs read backwards? I guess there are internal mirrors to flip the image back, but does that compromise the outcome slightly?

I have the Pentax PF-80ED amoung others. It is a good optic when used within the magnification range typical of most other spotting scopes. BUT, the focusing mechanism it uses reduces the aperture of the scope by as much as 10mm as focus moves towards infinity. Since the PF-65 series doesn't do this, I can't say if the PF-100ED will.

Generally, just about any large aperture astro ED refractor or reflector will give you a better image than the best spotting scope. And yes, any astro refractor will require an erecting prism diagonal to give you an upright correct image. Unfortunately, most of these erecting prism diagonals are of average quality and will degrade the image. Probably the best made in is the Baader Amici 90°.

Tele Vue 85 is a popular birding scope because 1) it is a fantastic optic, and 2) TV markets to birders. More TV85's are sold to birders than astronomers. BTW, TV also makes a pretty good 60° erecting prism diagonal. Other than Tele Vue, the only astro scope maker that markets to birders is BORG. They make very lightweight and modular scopes good for digiscopers.

But if I were looking for a permanent deck-mounted observing instrument, I would choose the Observation Binoculars I linked to above. Like the Pentax PF-100ED, you can use standard 1.25" astro eyepieces. Two eyes are always better than one!

cheers,
Rick

Have a look at cr-telescopes on http://pt-ducks.naturlink.pt/
You have there a review of 100mm telescopes and also some considerations on using astro telescopes for terrestrial viewing.
Regarding the PF100 I will test soon if the Baader zoom reaches focus on it - I suppose so since it focused in the Optolyth 100 but have to confirm.

David

But if I were looking for a permanent deck-mounted observing instrument, I would choose the Observation Binoculars I linked to above. Like the Pentax PF-100ED, you can use standard 1.25" astro eyepieces. Two eyes are always better than one!

cheers,
Rick

Two eyes are always better than one. It's hard to imagine that those Oberwerks are very good however at $1800. Even the best jumbo binos in the world (Fujinon 150s) limit the magnification to 40x presumably because high mag exacerbates collimation issues. The big Nikons, Miyauchis, and Fujinons all operate in the 20-40x range. I'd be VERY surprised if one can attain good images through the Oberwerks at anywhere near the 70-90x range we're talking about.

A friend who works in a telescope store and is an optics expert recently was telling me, as I was inquiring about the Vixen BT125s, that they have constant collimation problems. These are interchangeable EP 125mm binoculars that cost $4000. and are made in Japan by a very reputable maker.

Last edited:
Kevin, if check the Cloudy Nights Binocular forum you can read some reviews of this binocular. The forum moderator Edz is the resident bino expert and has nothing but praise for them and their outstanding double star resolving capability at fairly high mags.

cheers,
Rick

Fair enough Rick. I'll check it out.

update:
I poked around over at CN. Some good reviews alright though no comparison with high end jumbos. Mostly lower end stuff. The old adage "In a world of blind people, the one eyed man is King" keeps ringing in my head. I didn't see any references to mags higher than 66x but I could easily have missed something.

I'll admit they look interesting but there is no way I'd buy these w/o a thorough personal review.
Have you used them Rick?

Last edited:
I have one & like it very much.
The pentax eye pieces are second to none .But of course you can use any 1.25 EP.with it.
I have the 65mm & 80mm pf pentaxes also & love them all.
The astro scopes like televue are great scopes but are not weather proof.
The 100mm PF is also very rugged .
I once dropped mine from a height of about 5 ft & it didnt hurt it one bit.
Brian.

I should mention that i also have Miyauchi saturn 71mm ,Garrett 100mm 45degree & Vixen 80 BT binoculars ,
Some of these can go as high as x115 for the Miyas & about 75 for the others BUT IF IT RAINS I HAVE TO GET THEM INSIDE.
If your viewing is under cover all the time i would definately consider something like the Garrett or Vixen big bins .They are cheaper than the Pentax & use I.25 EP,s like the scope but you need 2 of them.
The Miyauchis are the best but no longer available.
Brian.

I have 2 of the jam pot sized 8-24 zooms ,[they came with the 80 & 100 PFs.]
But i find that the televue 8-24 works fine also & is much smaller & cheaper.
The Vixen & Orion 8-24 zooms are the same as the tele vue but cost a little less.
But for really great viewing the 10 14 & 20mm pentax XW,s are the ones to have.
Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back