• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF65A ED and camera compatibility (1 Viewer)

digiscope09

I am using a Pentax PF65A ED spotting scope in conjunction with a Canon powershot SD870 IS. The camera face has a rounded surface making it difficult to accurately line up the camera lense and spotting scope lense leading to less than crisp photos. Looking for suggestions on alternative cameras that will match up with the Pentax PF65 scope and lenses. (I have been using an XF12 but have just ordered an XW14 lense) Are there any point and shoots with threaded lenses or do I need to consider something like a Nikon P6000. Are megapixels also an issue. Any information appreciated.

Welcome to BF finno!

So happens I have the original digiscoping kit that Pentax marketed for this scope. Consists of the Pentax Optio S 5z digicam and the PF-DS1 adapter. Works with both XF and XW eyepieces. There is nothing lighter/smaller or easier to use with your scope. Camera has excellent digiscoping friendly features too. Only 5MP but still plenty enough for A4-sized prints.

I've since moved on to a Kowa kit so no longer use it. Let me know if you are interested!

cheers,
Rick

Welcome to BF finno!

So happens I have the original digiscoping kit that Pentax marketed for this scope. Consists of the Pentax Optio S 5z digicam and the PF-DS1 adapter. Works with both XF and XW eyepieces. There is nothing lighter/smaller or easier to use with your scope. Camera has excellent digiscoping friendly features too. Only 5MP but still plenty enough for A4-sized prints.

I've since moved on to a Kowa kit so no longer use it. Let me know if you are interested!

cheers,
Rick
Thanks for the info Rick.

I also started out with a Pentax Optio but found the screen too small. I am hoping that there is someone out there that has found a compatible camera with a threaded lense.

Finno

The only current cameras that have a threaded lens to take an adapter are the flagship models Nikon P6000, Canon G10 and Panasonic LX3. Unfortunately, their lens are too long and exclude them from being used easily for digiscoping with most astro eyepieces unless you can find an eyepiece with 35mm or more eyerelief in a 1.25" barrel. Impossible I think.

FWIW, I solved the screen issue by fitting a popup sunshade/2x loupe to the LCD screen of my Optio 5z. See pic.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 111
No threaded lense but the Optio A-series camera's work great. I use the A-30 with my PF65 ED-A. Up until recently I always hand held the camera over the EP! I shot ton's of pic's with only a few real good keeper's! Recently got a great deal on the UA-1 adapter from Pentax. Not the best adapter but, serves it's function for what I wanted. Result, I have alot more keeper's more so than what I delete. This adapter also works with our Kowa 601 and Bushnell 80 Elite. Though I like the results better with the Pentax. I now use the infrared remote and don't have to touch the set-up, more stable! I don't know if the glass in the SMC lense on the camera mates better with the glass on the XW's but, I do know I tried several different camera's with this particular set-up and the Pentax A series gave me the best results? I kinda wish Pentax would come up with another adapter like the PF DS-1 to use with different camera's, even the A-series which I think is an awesome little camera! Bryce.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back