• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlds best roof prism versus the world's best porro prism binocular! (3 Viewers)

[email protected]

Supporter
I am getting a new from Adorama for $599.99(Good Price) Nikon 8x32 SE with the latest coatings on Tuesday. I will compare it too my Nikon 8x32 EDG II when I get it. You know my reviews are the best and totally unbiased so it will finally end the debate or will it? I will try to conduct tests under varying conditions including looking into shadows, glare control, sharpness,contrast and 3D effect. as well as, ergonomics. The question will be can a $600 porro prism binocular compete with a $2400 roof prism binocular. Two of the best binoculars if not THE best binoculars in the world with different prisms head to head. This is exciting! Coming on Wednesday!

Brock, Helen [from Adorama] gets on here sometimes.

Good. Now she has fair warning about his "try 'em and return 'em" antics.

I've returned binoculars to Adorama because they had defects. Others have returned bins to stores because they were not what they had expected or were a "poor fit" in some way or another. That's to be expected when you can't "Try before you buy".

But when the same person routinely buys bins just to compare and brag about how his bins are better without any intention of keeping them, I think they ought to be charged a restocking fee to discourage this sort of behavior.

It's "bad apples" like this that ruin it for the rest of us. That's why some stores charge restocking fees, they don't want people to use the store to "browse".

Plus dennis has owned an SE before, he knows what to expect, though he may be surprised at the improved brightness and contrast if he gets a 550xxx model. But, of course, it still won't be as good as his current "best".

After returning the EII, the purpose of his game is clear.

<B>

I am getting a new from Adorama for $599.99(Good Price) Nikon 8x32 SE with the latest coatings on Tuesday. I will compare it too my Nikon 8x32 EDG II when I get it. You know my reviews are the best and totally unbiased so it will finally end the debate or will it? I will try to conduct tests under varying conditions including looking into shadows, glare control, sharpness,contrast and 3D effect. as well as, ergonomics. The question will be can a $600 porro prism binocular compete with a $2400 roof prism binocular. Two of the best binoculars if not THE best binoculars in the world with different prisms head to head. This is exciting! Coming on Wednesday!

Sounds good. Need to also buy the Habicht to make sure SE is better. Post pix. Looks like views are mixed on that one.

One day an SE or Habicht will be meeting me in person.

I've returned binoculars to Adorama because they had defects. Others have returned bins to stores because they were not what they had expected or were a "poor fit" in some way or another. That's to be expected when you can't "Try before you buy".

But when the same person routinely buys bins just to compare and brag about how his bins are better without any intention of keeping them, I think they ought to be charged a restocking fee to discourage this sort of behavior.

It's "bad apples" like this that ruin it for the rest of us. That's why some stores charge restocking fees, they don't want people to use the store to "browse".

Plus dennis has owned an SE before, he knows what to expect, though he may be surprised at the improved brightness and contrast if he gets a 550xxx model. But, of course, it still won't be as good as his current "best".

<B>
I feel the newer coatings on this SE are going to be a game changer on this dogfight. I expect them to outperform the older EII's by quite a margin plus the extra 2mm of aperture doesn't hurt. I really feel the EDG and the SE are great for a comparison of porro's to roof's. Exactly the same aperture and they both have field flatteners and complex advanced eyepieces. They both have very controlled CA and they both have very sharp edges with almost identical FOV's and they are designed by the same company Nikon. What more could you ask for. Most people would consider them the best or one of the best binoculars in their class. This is going to be a dogfight. The SE will come in fighting with it's 3D view and the EDG will counter with it's razor sharp edges and super contrast. It's going to be the fight of the century I tell you. It's all going to be about optics too. Which one gives the best all around view. We will put waterproof and ruggedness aside. This about optics pure and simple nothing else. I will comment on focus and ergonomics but in the end it is about the view. I have the 8x30 EII image fresh in my mind so I will comment on that too. Get your seats gentleman and hold on tight this is going to be exciting.

Denis, the EDG models, why are they "in your opinion" superior to the Se's?
I find contrast to be verbatim, so does the EDG over do the contrast?
I am reminded of my Grandmother who always had the TV contrast and colour up at maximum......

Sounds good. Need to also buy the Habicht to make sure SE is better. Post pix. Looks like views are mixed on that one.

One day an SE or Habicht will be meeting me in person.
The Habicht has too many questions for me. The BIG one is the recurring comment on the TIGHT focus and the focus wheel looks narrow. I can't STAND tight focusers so that for me is a deal killer and those small eyecups look like you would have to use winged eyecups to make them work which I don't like. I guess I could try one. How is Cameraland about returns. Do you have to pay a restocking fee? I think you have the ORDER the Habicht too. How long of a wait for that?

I am getting a new from Adorama for $599.99(Good Price) Nikon 8x32 SE with the latest coatings on Tuesday. I will compare it too my Nikon 8x32 EDG II when I get it. You know my reviews are the best and totally unbiased so it will finally end the debate or will it? I will try to conduct tests under varying conditions including looking into shadows, glare control, sharpness,contrast and 3D effect. as well as, ergonomics. The question will be can a $600 porro prism binocular compete with a $2400 roof prism binocular. Two of the best binoculars if not THE best binoculars in the world with different prismseason head to head. This is exciting! Coming on Wednesday!

Dennis

Not saying your predictable to the point of being boring (maybe I am come to think of it) but If you aren't able to post your "review" for some reason let us know and one of us will post it for you.

Steve

Denis, the EDG models, why are they "in your opinion" superior to the Se's?
I find contrast to be verbatim, so does the EDG over do the contrast?
I am reminded of my Grandmother who always had the TV contrast and colour up at maximum......
I haven't compared the EDG's to the SE yet. I will next week. I know what you mean about high contrast. I noticed when comparing the EII's to the EDG that the EDG appeared to have better contrast but I didn't try looking into those grey areas to see how much detail I could see on the EII's. I will try that with the SE when I get it.

Dennis

Not saying your predictable to the point of being boring (maybe I am come to think of it) but If you aren't able to post your "review" for some reason let us know and one of us will post it for you.

Steve
Talk about boring! You post the same reviews on Cloudy Nights that you do on here. Exactly to the letter on your Habicht reviews. You need to freshen that up a little.

<B>
Oh come on Brock. Talk about a return fiend. You tried to return the 10x30 EII I sold you and they were perfect and brand new. Tryin to tell me the contrast was poor and then Henry(Mr Optics) said there was nothing wrong with them. I will bet you drive these optical websites crazy with your returning stuff all the time. They probably have your name on a blacklist. "Brockroller consistent returner"

Last edited:
Talk about boring! You post the same reviews on Cloudy Nights that you do on here. Exactly to the letter on your Habicht reviews. You need to freshen that up a little.

Maybe boring but consistent regardless of the intended audience. I've always been amazed that the same binocular you lambaste on this forum is elevated to optical nirvana when you're trying to pimp on eBay later. I really can't wait for your "review" on the SE. ;)

Steve

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

At first I thought "why do I even bother to read these posts", but now I know. It helps to have a couple of beers, or equivalent, first...

Last edited:
I feel the newer coatings on this SE are going to be a game changer on this dogfight. I expect them to outperform the older EII's by quite a margin plus the extra 2mm of aperture doesn't hurt. I really feel the EDG and the SE are great for a comparison of porro's to roof's. Exactly the same aperture and they both have field flatteners and complex advanced eyepieces. They both have very controlled CA and they both have very sharp edges with almost identical FOV's and they are designed by the same company Nikon. What more could you ask for. Most people would consider them the best or one of the best binoculars in their class. This is going to be a dogfight. The SE will come in fighting with it's 3D view and the EDG will counter with it's razor sharp edges and super contrast. It's going to be the fight of the century I tell you. It's all going to be about optics too. Which one gives the best all around view. We will put waterproof and ruggedness aside. This about optics pure and simple nothing else. I will comment on focus and ergonomics but in the end it is about the view. I have the 8x30 EII image fresh in my mind so I will comment on that too. Get your seats gentleman and hold on tight this is going to be exciting.

Not that exciting, Dennis. I had EII 8x30, and 550xxx SE8x32, both at the same time (which I think is crucial, as you can't keep an image 'fresh in (the) mind' for more than a few seconds). You know what the result will be. The former has a panoramic FOV, but the outer 10 or 15% is fuzzy. The latter has a flatter field and less pincushion, but otherwise image quality is a tie. The choice will depend on ergonomics and eye placement. But you know all this, you've owned both. Also, it's in a few hundred reviews on the Internet, and surely as an 'independent Consultant' for Nikon, you've got all that 'fresh in (the) mind'? Come on Dennis, you've posted about this in three different threads, but all of us all on here have read about or owned the EII or SE, so what's the deal? If it's to plug the EDG, credit us with a bit more cop-on. I've tried them, but got SV instead. People are going to have different opinions about everything, including optics. For the love of the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, they're only binoculars, and if they didn't exist, we'd just have to stand closer to stuff!o:)

Maybe boring but consistent regardless of the intended audience. I've always been amazed that the same binocular you lambaste on this forum is elevated to optical nirvana when you're trying to pimp on eBay later. I really can't wait for your "review" on the SE. ;)

Steve
Consistent is right. You must copy and paste all your reviews. Ha Ha!

Not that exciting, Dennis. I had EII 8x30, and 550xxx SE8x32, both at the same time (which I think is crucial, as you can't keep an image 'fresh in (the) mind' for more than a few seconds). You know what the result will be. The former has a panoramic FOV, but the outer 10 or 15% is fuzzy. The latter has a flatter field and less pincushion, but otherwise image quality is a tie. The choice will depend on ergonomics and eye placement. But you know all this, you've owned both. Also, it's in a few hundred reviews on the Internet, and surely as an 'independent Consultant' for Nikon, you've got all that 'fresh in (the) mind'? Come on Dennis, you've posted about this in three different threads, but all of us all on here have read about or owned the EII or SE, so what's the deal? If it's to plug the EDG, credit us with a bit more cop-on. I've tried them, but got SV instead. People are going to have different opinions about everything, including optics. For the love of the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, they're only binoculars, and if they didn't exist, we'd just have to stand closer to stuff!o:)
Don't read it then. You know you will be up all night just wondering what is the best the EDG or the SE. Your just sour because you are an SV lover.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back