• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Zoom / Kowa 82*..? (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

Has anyone tried to couple the Baader Hyperion Zoom with the Kowa 82* series...? ...Seems like the combo could Work,--The Baader with all these adapters,and the Kowa with external and internal threads (besides the bayonet)_

Just wondering if they would be optically compatible...

Attachments

• Hyperion-Zoom-MarkIII-Lieferumfang.jpg
    Hyperion-Zoom-MarkIII-Lieferumfang.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Has anyone tried to couple the Baader Hyperion Zoom with the Kowa 82* series...? ...Seems like the combo could Work,--The Baader with all these adapters,and the Kowa with external and internal threads (besides the bayonet)_

Just wondering if they would be optically compatible...

I can't speak for the combination you suggest but my Kowa (a 77mm TSN 4) has a VERY wide focusing range. I use 2 Opticron eyepieces with mine, a 30x (fitted with insulating tape - surprisingly secure!) which gives a great image at all ranges. The other is an Opticron SDL V2 which attaches to the external thread (with an O ring spacer) - very secure and gives a VERY decent image compared to the latest Alpha scopes that I have compared it to eg Zeiss, Leica and Swaro. Not quite as good as the best - but not far behind. Unfortunately I had a play with the latest Kowa 883 - oh dear! WANT ONE!
If you can find a friendly dealer take your scope along and give it a go it's the only way you can be certain!

Yes..They have VERY wide focussing range...both the 824 and the TSN1 that I have owned got looong travel past infinity,but I dont know if this fact would make a difference..
The Baader Hyperion Zoom is known for NOT arriving to infinity focus in most scopes..I guss this is a question for Henry Link ,or someone with knowlegde in the Theory of optics...
Has a scope with a LOOOONG travel past infinity ,more chances to bring to infinity most eyepieces..Or is actually the other way around?...

Is good to know all the options for the TSN4,,Gives me a good feeling about the Hyperion-823..I might be able to test this combo myself sometime this summer

I agree about the 883..It does that...You use it,You want It...I tried one a couple of months ago,and I think it is the only scope that shows an image CLEARLY superior to any other I have experienced..It really pushed the limits of what my brain knew as possible!

Yeah the 883 is a bit good isn't it! I tried it against the new Leica at Clifton cameras. The (very helpful) chap from Clifton Cameras was just as surprised as I was, optically the new Kowa is about as good as it gets - for now!
Back in the real (affordable!) world your 82 series is still a fine scope so I would suggest trying a number of eyepieces to try and get the best from it. After all it is a lot cheaper than a new scope - good luck!

I found this about the Hyperion Zoom ,in the Baader page...

"Spotting Scope Use:

The Hyperion Zoom can also be used on many spotting scopes. It is compatible with the following spotting scopes:

- TS standard spotting scopes (55mm, 80mm and 100mm)
- Celestron spotting scopes (65mm, 80mm and 100mm)
- Skywatcher / Acuter spotting scopes
- Zeiss spotting scopes

In many cases the originally supplied zoom eyepiece limits the performance of a spotting scope. The Hyperion Zoom will improve image sharpness in most cases."

So..When they mention TS standard scopes..Is that a type of mount,?.Must make reference to Synta ?.... Curiously Kowas use that nomenclature..TS, TSN....I need to call the folks at baader I guess...

Last edited:
- TS standard spotting scopes (55mm, 80mm and 100mm)

So..When they mention TS standard scopes..Is that a type of mount,?

I believe they mean Telescope Service, a large dealer in Munich, who sell a lot of stuff under their own brand name in addition to the recognized names.

I suspect the former is of mediocre quality but I have ordered from them a few times and have been very satisfied with their prompt service.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back