• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiwan - Birding Reports (1 Viewer)

In Asia we just call this Buff-bellied Pipit - as Jeff says the N American rubescens is very different.

Sounds like you're having a good run with vagrants too - I envy you those Hooded Cranes!

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff and Mike.....I have it labelled as japonicus but just as a subspecies of American Pipit...is it now a confirmed split?

Cheers

Dave

It's a nomenclature thing. In Asia, they're called Buff-bellied pipit, but Clements still calls it American pipit, probably because 3 of the 4 subspecies are found in N. America.

I know Clements hasn't split them yet. I'm pretty sure the other authorities haven't yet, either.

Migrants are starting to arrive at Yehliu...on Saturday (19 April) there was only one Narcissus Flycatcher but apparently more Flycatchers and Buntings started arriving yesterday (21 April). Will try again this weekend!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Narcissus Flycatcher 4.jpg
    Narcissus Flycatcher 4.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Yellow Bittern 2.jpg
    Yellow Bittern 2.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Gretchen!

This Saturday (26 April) I tried Yehliu situated on the North coast of Taiwan. Yehliu had been getting good reports all week of various flycatchers and buntings including a long tailed Japanese Paradise Flycatcher. Unfortunately (or fortunately for the birds) due to the good weather everything had left. The only bird remaining was a Yellow-breasted Bunting surrounded by 100 photographers!

On Sunday I joined a trip to Guishan (Turtle) Island off the coast of Yilan. Highlights included a lifer Chestnut-eared Bunting, 2 male Chestnut Buntings, Chinese Pond-Heron, lots of Fork-tailed Swifts, 3 Streaked Shearwaters on the crossing, lots of Brown-eared Bulbuls (common on this island) and a King Ratsnake.

Here's a few photos from the weekend...

Attachments

• Chinese Pond-Heron.jpg
    Chinese Pond-Heron.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Streaked Shearwater.jpg
    Streaked Shearwater.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Black-faced Bunting 2.jpg
    Black-faced Bunting 2.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Little Bunting 3.jpg
    Little Bunting 3.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Olive-backed Pipit.jpg
    Olive-backed Pipit.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
...and a few more photos.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Chestnut-eared Bunting.jpg
    Chestnut-eared Bunting.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Chestnut Bunting.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 98
  • King Ratsnake.jpg
    King Ratsnake.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 99
Nice stuff! I trust the weather was better this year than last year. Still hope I can make it back there some day to get a proper trip to Guishandao.

As to your earlier question about the niltava, not sure if you reached a decision on it, but books around here say that the rufous-bellied would have a more glistening crown and would lack the indent on the neck that the vivid, and the nilatava in your photo, have. So I would think vivid but I don't know about Fujian.

Nice stuff! I trust the weather was better this year than last year. Still hope I can make it back there some day to get a proper trip to Guishandao.

As to your earlier question about the niltava, not sure if you reached a decision on it, but books around here say that the rufous-bellied would have a more glistening crown and would lack the indent on the neck that the vivid, and the nilatava in your photo, have. So I would think vivid but I don't know about Fujian.

Yep the weather was better....which always means less birds! You are right the Niltava is just a Vivid Niltava. The one we saw at Yehliu is now apparently thought to be a Fujian rather than a Rufous-bellied...but nobody is 100% certain.

Will be back at Turtle Island this Saturday...hoping for something good!

Wow, I should look back at those old photos, I've actually seen the rufous-bellied here, time to compare! I'm not above adding a bird to the list ex post facto.

Saturday (3 May) I joined the taipei Wild Bird Society on their annual spring trip to Guishan (Turtle) Island. Birding was even slower this weekend with very few migrants despite the heavy constant rain. Great reports coming in from Matsu Islands, so I guess a lot of migrants have passed us already.

Highlights of this trip were a Lesser Frigatebird (not seen by me), perhaps 10 or more Yellow-browed Buntings, a Little Bunting, Black-faced Buntings, a single Brambling, lots of Brown-eared Bulbuls, Pacific Reef Heron, Peregrine Falcon, Olive-backed Pipits, Common Terns, Great Crested Terns, Red-necked Phalaropes (not seen by me), lots of Oriental Skylarks, a single Oriental Pratincole, Black-tailed Gull and a Striated Heron (which I don't see very often in Taiwan).

A few photos...including a couple more from last week.

Attachments

• Yellow-browed Bunting 3.jpg
    Yellow-browed Bunting 3.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Yellow-browed Bunting 4.jpg
    Yellow-browed Bunting 4.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Yellow-browed Bunting 5.jpg
    Yellow-browed Bunting 5.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Chinese Skink.jpg
    Chinese Skink.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Little Bunting 5.jpg
    Little Bunting 5.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 106
Just came across this thread, it's good to hear what's been seen elsewhere in Taiwan. I'm based in Kaohsiung, and bird mainly along the south-west coast as far north as Chiayi, and the southern mountains as far as Yushan/Alishan.

I've found one or two good birds over the last few weeks, including Asian Dowitcher at Aogu last Sunday, Tristram's Bunting at Donggang on Tuesday, and at least ten individual Chinese Egrets so far this spring.

I'm keeping a regularly updated blog about my birding in Taiwan, here: http://birdingaroundtaiwan.com/.

Happy birding!
Cheers.

Nice to find another English speaking birder in Taiwan...love the blog! Still waiting for my first Asian Dowitcher. Feel free to update your sightings on this thread.

Cheers

Dave

Finding this thread and your blogs/photos really interesting. I'm heading over to Taiwan next week for 2 weeks birding, looking for the Fairy Pitta and endemics and keen to see as much as possible really. Would also be keen to see the Black-faced Spoonbills if there are some still around?

Thanks, Andy

^ Andy, there were still Black-faced Spoonbills at both Budai and Aogu last weekend .... I saw about 40 in total. Hopefully there will still be one or two late lingerers by the time you arrive :)

I'll be at Alishan and Yushan National Park next weekend (May 17th and 18th), looking to get some of the high-altitude birds on to the year list. I hope it won't be too rainy up there. Let me know if you're around at the same time.

Andy, even in the North of Taiwan there are still some Spoonbills around, including one in the middle of Taipei (Huajiang) this week. Budai and Aogu are of course a much better bet!

Here's some pics from Watzuwei Nature Reserve close to Taipei from May 2013...this is another area that is also a reliable place for Chinese Egret.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Black-faced Spoonbill 3.jpg
    Black-faced Spoonbill 3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Black-faced Spoonbill 4.jpg
    Black-faced Spoonbill 4.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 116
  • Black-faced Spoonbill 5.jpg
    Black-faced Spoonbill 5.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Black-faced Spoonbill 6.jpg
    Black-faced Spoonbill 6.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Chinese Egret 2.jpg
    Chinese Egret 2.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 126
Dave, just to make you jealous, I found my second Asian Dowitcher in just seven days in Tainan yesterday. There was a Gull-billed Tern and a Little Bunting at Qigu, and dazzling migrant White-winged Terns have started to appear with the Whiskered Terns at fishponds.

Full report on my blog.
Happy birding!
Cheers.

Dave, just to make you jealous, I found my second Asian Dowitcher in just seven days in Tainan yesterday. There was a Gull-billed Tern and a Little Bunting at Qigu, and dazzling migrant White-winged Terns have started to appear with the Whiskered Terns at fishponds.

Full report on my blog.
Happy birding!
Cheers.

I am jealous, but good to know there are still some passing through! They never seem to be reported in the North of Taiwan so I guess I need to head South more often!

My birding was limited this weekend...only managed to escape for a couple of hours at Huajiang. Only none-common birds (for this location) were a Chinese Pond Heron and at least 4 Oriental Reed Warblers. First time I have seen any Reed-Warblers at this location.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the info both, really helpful. Our plans are not really set yet and probably won't know our route until Tues/Wed -depends on a few things. We're hoping to get over to Lanyu too all being well - if we can work out when the boats go/come back!
Cheers, Andy

A much quieter morning around Tainan today, with migrant waders noticeably much fewer in number - and no sign of Saturday's Asian Dowitcher. Fewer birds + hot and sultry weather = a distinct feeling that summer is on the way :-(

Late in the morning, I finally rescued a new bird for the year in the form of a pair of Azure-winged Magpies at Sihcao Artillery Fort. This is an introduced species in Taiwan, but it's an attractive bird and in the context of this morning's very lean pickings it was most welcome!

Full report on my blog.
Cheers and happy birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back