• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chestnut Bunting - first-winter male Papa Westray, Orkney 26th October 2015 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

An intriguing bird so I thought that I would post a selection of images in case of interest. The bird was unobtrusive most of the time - often totally hidden or peeking out of the grass and when you could see it feeding, it was chomping its way through the seed heads. However, when it did emerge, the identification became easier.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Chestnut Bunting A.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting A.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Chestnut Bunting B.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting B.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Chestnut Bunting C.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting C.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Chestnut Bunting D.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting D.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Chestnut Bunting E.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting E.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 303
A few bits and pieces photos showing a few elements of the bird that may confirm ageing and sexing - rump & tertials; crown; breast streaking; tail shape & throat; and lesser & median coverts.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Chestnut Bunting F.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting F.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Chestnut Bunting G.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting G.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Chestnut Bunting H.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting H.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Chestnut Bunting I.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting I.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 192
  • Chestnut Bunting J.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting J.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Finally it did sit up occasionally - the first two were when it was at distance doing a fair impression of Yellow-breasted Bunting in the sunshine and the other three when it was a little closer. Not the point blank views of some but I was very happy nevertheless. A very different impression from the unobtrusive bird grubbing around flashing the occasional glimpse of a chestnut rump!

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Chestnut Bunting K.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting K.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Chestnut Bunting L.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting L.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Chestnut Bunting M.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting M.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Chestnut Bunting N.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting N.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Chestnut Bunting O.jpg
    Chestnut Bunting O.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back