• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (8 Viewers)

One of my favourites has returned - two Bitterns clearly audible this morning from the veranda. Chiffchaff also in.

78. Bittern
79. Chiffchaff

Last edited:
Nothing new for a few weeks, then two over the weekend, including a new bird for my life-time list in this garden:

28. Meadow pipit - a Morpeth garden lifer (species 66!), singing over hedgerows on the adjacent farmland (so another that I'm unlikely to see/hear again once it's a new housing estate...). I'm guessing this wouldn't be a lifer if I were a better birder, but my ability to pick out different songs is improving, so I get to add new species to the list that have probably been around for years!

29. Chiffchaff - returned right on cue!

Nothing too exciting to add, but finally added fly-over sightings from the garden this weekend of:

30. Rook
31. Jackdaw

No doubt both have passed already this year, but a full day in the garden yesterday was productive (both in bird species counts, and in fruit garden tidying)

20. Song Thrush (lots singing in the last few days)
21. Great Spotted Woodpecker (first woodpeckers I've seen here on the feeder and drumming to each other)

20. Little Egret - about 30 of them flew over very low .
They are usually in a field couple minutes from here , if cows are grazing in the field the little egrets are
there too !

They are usually in a field couple minutes from here , if cows are grazing in the field the little egrets are
there too !
Brenda, next time you see them try to see what colour beaks they have, my guess is they'll be yellow, which will make them Cattle, not Little Egrets (black bills)
:t:

Added No. 23 Red-shouldered Hawk yesterday. Always nice to get a FOY bird from the garden.
My Turkey friend was also about repeatedly yesterday, and I could hear others 'gobble-gobble-gobbling' off in the woods too. Not the best photo, not a fan of the papparazzi this one! Larger flyovers, but unless the Bald Eagle takes a rest nearer the house, this is definitely my largest in-the-garden bird.

Attachments

• small witu.jpg
    small witu.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 21
From very large to very small!

55 Willow Warbler

singing nearby this morning, also an apparent arrival of Chiffchaff and Blackcap overnight, after 3 weeks with just one of each singing, this morning was more like a full-blown orchestra!

there too !

Are you sure they're not Cattle Egrets? (I know both can occur)

Short Yellow bills or long black bills etc ...

Edit: oops, bit slow off the mark

A blackcap arrived on Sunday and has been singing since, not seen a female yet. Swallows will probably be next, they arrived here on the 17th last year.

Just to clarify.... I am Amy, a she not a he. That darn user name causes much confusion, my apologies (Jasper was our dog!).....not that it makes any difference to my garden birding one way or another! 3:)

I'm sorry. Yes I thought your name is Jasper... Now I just have to remember this. |>|

By the way

#20. Robin - Singing my garden or somewhere near at this morning.

As this is our first year in the house I have no idea what is "normal" for here, so today's

56 Linnet

may prove to be a one- off (it was pretty uncommon at the last place), time will tell.

And another one (that makes one new for the year in each of the last 3 days), I heard the call but missed the bird , but luckily 4 more

57 Water Pipit

were following the leader towards the mountain pastures which are gradually losing their snowy cover.

Although my first Alpine Swifts were over around the middle of March there's been no other swifts till today, with one 55. Common Swift - quite late for my first here and also Pallid is missing.

Yesterday afternoon was nice sunny weather and I parked myself in garden for one and half hour. And not for nothing:

#22. Common Crane - One (?!) flyover.
#23. Black-headed Gull - 1 + 3 flyovers.
#24. Sparrowhawk - Circled over garden about 20 seconds. Suprisingly this was also my first Sprawk at this year.
#25. Lapwing - Lonely bird flies over.

Also, it was first time that Robin shows himself. This morning I heard from garden atleast three Robins singing.

Chiff Chaff in my Sallow...then my 1st Tran Saharan migrant going North...my 2nd earliest Swallow no.60, to be followed by a soaring Peregrine (my 10th sighting this year!, previous annual averages being between 1-2 birds).

I'm just back from two days in Berkshire. During that time I managed one Swallow, a Blackcap and Chiffchaff.

Where are all the hirundines?! I saw Swallows up north a week ago & there are reports from N Yorkshire - yet none down south!

Can't believe how abundant Red Kites are in Berks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back