• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Hawfinch occurence last weekend....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Presumably other people may have noticed the "incredible" nos. of Hawfinches reported over this last weekend, from Shetland to Scilly and perhaps embracing another 10+ sites throughout the realm. I believe multiples of up to 6 at least reported (Juniper Bottom, Surrey), almost certainly from the near continent, perhaps an "invasion year" without precedent...is taking place?

Cheers

I got bored counting on RBA, but over 750 birds reported since Friday. High counts on Scilly, Surrey and London.

Hawfinch...this year's Yellow-browed Warbler? The numbers involved are clearly unprecedented, and as such do they reflect an extremely good breeding season, and or failure with their preferred food diet at this time (berries ?). As I assume that their seed requirements Hornbeam, Beech mast, Ash keys, etc would be their mainstay, much later during the harder Winter months.....definitely food for thought. :eek!:

from casual observations (no bins) I had several fly-over Hawfinches near Freyburg, Germany on Saturday, mixed in with other migrating passerines all heading SW.

It'll be related to food supplies, not forthcoming winter weather

We already discussed the berry crop and it's legendary connection with the severity of the coming winter on another thread, massive berry crops in Russia. Hoping we'll get some Pine Grossers again!

A

Last edited:
It's quite a good year for Hawfinch over my German vismig spot (in use since 2011): almost 100 birds (0.7 per hour from July), which is only matched by 2012. I normally have 0.1 to 0.2 per hour in autumn.

Numbers in the Netherlands mirror this (although the difference is less marked): http://www.trektellen.nl/species/trend/1/-1/421/-2?language=english

An invasion could be good news for the British breeding population, as I have understood this tends to be boosted by European immigrants (of course I can't find a source for that on-line...)

It's quite a good year for Hawfinch over my German vismig spot (in use since 2011): almost 100 birds (0.7 per hour from July), which is only matched by 2012. I normally have 0.1 to 0.2 per hour in autumn.

Numbers in the Netherlands mirror this (although the difference is less marked): http://www.trektellen.nl/species/trend/1/-1/421/-2?language=english

An invasion could be good news for the British breeding population, as I have understood this tends to be boosted by European immigrants (of course I can't find a source for that on-line...)

Yes...the European immigrant boost is a most welcome (albeit temporary affair), as the relatively uncontrolled North American import Carolinensis soon reduces any gains to pre-irruption levels. :-C

Yes...the European immigrant boost is a most welcome (albeit temporary affair), as the relatively uncontrolled North American import Carolinensis soon reduces any gains to pre-irruption levels. :-C

Ken, I must be missing something obvious. Could you enlighten me on Hawfinches imported from North America? Is there a captive breed of some sort?

Ken, I must be missing something obvious. Could you enlighten me on Hawfinches imported from North America? Is there a captive breed of some sort?

Ken is referring to Grey Squirrel as carolinensis. Its Scientific name is Sciurus carolinensis. As a result, he is suggesting that the Hawfinch decline is as a result of predation by Grey Squirrel.

All the best

Interesting just checked Organbi for previous years

2017 - current - 2052
2016 - 0
2015 - 737
2014-2011 Less than 5 each year

Does represent a big increase...

Indeed: if I can manage four ( 3 + 1 ) on my VERY inland patch, then those numbers must represent the tip of the iceberg.
Incidentally all mine were heading roughly North - perhaps local movements following influx (?)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back