• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

41.5 mm adapter for Baader Hyperion Zoom MKiv (1 Viewer)

Tundikeri

Hi

I am just getting an adapter made to allow the fitting of a Baader Hyperion zoom MK iv onto a 41.5 mm male thread

I sent my Bausch and Lomb off to Baader with a opticron HDF zoom eyepiece and they have just made a prototype of the adapter and it is going to be anodized next week and sent to me .

A production run will be done for the new adapters.

This will open up some possibilities with the baader zoom to be used in place of an opticron HDF zoom ( as long as there is room in the body to accommodate the nosepiece size ) like on my bausch and lomb HDR 60 scope and also it will allow users to get some real quality views from an affordable classic ie the KOWA TSN 1-2

I will post pictures when the adapter returns

41.5 mm adapter has arrived

Baader has sent me the prototype 41.5mm adapter to allow the fitting of the Baader hyperion zoom mk4 onto a 41.5mm thread which an opticron HDF zoom fits onto.

I have fitted the baader hyperion zoom onto my Bausch and Lomb HDR 60 scope using the adapter and also a kowa TSN-2

The sleeve has to be taken off the baader to allow it to go into the aperture (bayonet fitting) it is a tighter fit on the kowa than the B&L (less than 1mm will make a difference) The tight fit being the nose piece, not the 41.5mm threads.

But it screwed on okay and the zoom focused ok on both scopes and really makes an improvement with the kowa as the baader fov is something like 50-70 degrees.

The adapter will be in production soon so should be available in a couple of months.

Baader also sent me an adapter to fit the baader zoom onto a T2 42mm thread which is great as I just purchased a 30x75 draw scope that has a 42mm thread so I can pop the baader onto the draw scope , will do a review on another post.

Attachments

• 41adapt (2).jpg
    41adapt (2).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 41adapt (4).jpg
    41adapt (4).jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 41adapt (1).jpg
    41adapt (1).jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 130
Great - but is there any possibility for using the zoom without the nosepiece, but staying the barlow-element in place? I'm using the MM4-60 (great) and the v2-eyepiece is not bad, but…

Good light with the 'Altglas'
Manfred

PS: The 1,25"-nosepiece can be unscrewed, but it seems too tall for the MM4.

Last edited:
just a note of advice..Using the zoom without the sleeve could cause problems...The eyepiece zooms moving the barlow piece up and down along a groove or guide..the barlow is guided by a screw that fits tight with a plastic spacer..all this,screw and spacer are kept inside the groove by the sleeve..without the sleeve, the platic spacer can be pushed out by the motion,and the screw can go off the groove and move inside ,blocking the action...I know this because it happened to me..so beware..

Yes, thanks for the advice. If the screw needs the inside of the 1,25"-nosepiece for taking the zooming action, then it doesn't work in the Opticrons. The space inside the opticron-barrel isn't enough for 31,8mm. This make sense, because the 1,25" part stays in place if the zoom is used with the 2"-nosepiece.

Ok, byebye Hyperion - v2 rulez

Manfred

Maybe I didnt explain this well..probably need to put some pictures up..It doesnt need the 1 1/4 astronomy tube..I thought you meant the thin tube that covers the main zoom tube..that is what i call the sleeve...That i recommend to keep in place..Ill post photos soon

The adapter works well for my Bausch and Lomb, most opticron scopes do not have enough room for the nosepiece . It is use at your own risk. Those who want to belittle the adapter can be little and belittle and those who can see the potential use of the adapter in some circumstances will appreciate it.

Maybe I didnt explain this well..probably need to put some pictures up..It doesnt need the 1 1/4 astronomy tube..I thought you meant the thin tube that covers the main zoom tube..that is what i call the sleeve...That i recommend to keep in place..Ill post photos soon

I think I know what you mean: the 1 3/8 "-tube can be replaced, also the 2"-tube, and there will rest the 'pure' nosepiece holding the barlow element which needs the thin cover for secure zooming. It's shown in the 7th picture of the perpendicular row on the Baader-website , where all parts are shown.
But measuring this small tube (rough on the screen) seems too large for the opricron-barrel. I've written to Baader for the correct measurement, but it'll be ~30mm vs. 28.5mm (opticron Diameter)

Please feel free to make some photos, if I'm wrong.

best regards
Manfred

You are right ..This thin cover or sleeve MIGHT seem unnecesary ....If you take it off and zoom up and down a couple of times,You might think "this thing is not necessary".BUT, If you keep the cover off,and just go on zooming,the tiny plastic spacer around the guiding screw ,now without a cover ,might pop up at some point and without the spacer ,the screw would want to go under the guide at some point, locking the zoom with a gritting "ouch".
I have designed and experimented with adapters to fit astro eyepieces and other brand eyepieces to my scopes for years..I now use the Kowa 823 with the Baader Zoom MkIII,fitted with a custom adapter ,so I am very interested in this prototype.I might send my adapter for Kowa 823 to Baader as well ,for the eyepiece works great on the scopes So my advice again,is not to operate the zoom without the sleeve to prevent future trouble with your eyepiece.But of course you can do it,and maybe you wont have any problems..I have seem zooms that dont have any cover on the guide,so...just zoom carefully,and check once in a while to make sure the spacer still in place..Again ,just sharing my experience.good luck

Last edited:
Here's the answer from Baader Planetarium:

"Hallo,

wir überprüfen immer wieder, ob und an welche Spektive unsere Okulare noch adaptiert werden können, daher auch die Aktion mit dem Bausch & Lomb aus dem Forum.

Wenn die Staubschutzhülse entfernt wird, liegt der Außendurchmesser bei ca. 28,4mm.
Das Barlow-Element ist ca. 18mm lang ab dem T-2-Auflagering. Aber das hängt letztlich davon ab, welche Adapter für welches Spektiv nötig sind. Wie lang er letztlich effektiv ist, hängt also von der Spektivadaption ab - da wird als um jeden Millimeter gefeilscht, in jede Richtung...

Zumindest beim Mark IV ist der Plastikring der Zoom-Einheit in dem Spalt gesichert, sodass er sich nicht freiarbeiten kann. Die Staubschützhülse ist somit wirklich Staubschutz und kann zumindest beim aktuellen Mark IV entfernt werden, wenn es mit einem Spektiv verschraubt wird und das Spektiv so das Okular gegen die Elemente schützt. Bei einem Teleskop dagegen ist das Innenleben ja wesentlich offener.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

BAADER PLANETARIUM GMBH"

28,4mm, very tight but could work, and the ep-barrel can be replaced, but zooming should work…

Hmm…

best regards
Manfred

Ok...good news..the Mark IV has not the same design ,so now the dust protection is not holding the plastic spacer and can be safely removed..this is good..I will definitely send Baader news of my adapter for kowa 82...where did you guys contacted them regarding the adapter?..Any particular contact already made to address them with info about my experience?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back