• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird seen in the Rio Grande Valley (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

I have a friend who is currently birding and taking photos in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. She took a photo of this bird, but is not sure what it is.

Attachments

• unknown sparrow.jpg
    unknown sparrow.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 74
You may be right. The tail definitely has a blue hue to it and there are Indigo's hanging out in area where she is. Saw one on a trip down there middle of January, but it had more blue on it.

It’s a bunting. Indigo and lazuli have different winter ranges. Looks like lazuli is unlikely that far East. From the front they look different.

Last edited:
I feel pretty sure its an Indigo. I saw some myself middle of January birding in same area of Valley as this one was seen. You mentioned Lazuli Bunting. My bird guide doesn't show them anywhere in Texas at any time of the year and shows their winter range being along west coast of Mexico, however, in early May of last year, I had one show up in my backyard for almost a week before he moved on. Certainly didn't seem like North Central Texas would be in his migration route but there he was. Had never seen one before other than in my guide.

Attachments

• IMG_7010 (3).jpg
    IMG_7010 (3).jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back