• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D BIF shots (1 Viewer)

iv ordered one for the reach it will give mostly on non flying birds 18mp is like doubling the MPs that my mk3 gives
so if i use the mk3 with a 500f4 that gives 650mm field of view
Now take the 7d but with a 300f 2.8 this gives 480mm field of view BUT almost twice the pixsels
so if you then scale that up to the mk3 combo its like using an 800mm lens if you follow my way of thinking .
also the 300f 2.8 will be able to use the ultra fine center focus point too that works at 2.8 or larger apeture .
I think this is going to be a great birding camera .
Btw a mk4 would have to have almost 30mp to catch up in reach/crop.
Rob.

Rob,
I cant see your thinking here, extra pixels aint the same thing as extra magnification.

Kev

also the 300f 2.8 will be able to use the ultra fine center focus point too that works at 2.8 or larger apeture ..
Rob.

Does that enhanced centre focus point still work if you use a f2.8 lens combined with a TC?

Here's one from this morning with AF expansion...........

Some cropping and minor postprocessing.

EXIF data should be intact. I could have gone down to ISO 200 I suppose.

I've been checking this link from Canon about the various AF options, it's quite a bit to digest for someone like me coming directly from a 400D.

AF expansion vs Zone AF? Dunno, you'd need to ask a better photographer than the likes of me. Both seem OK I have to say but these Night Herons weren't flying so fast so maybe I'd need a more difficult subject to see which is better in more challenging conditions. In the meantime I've set aside 2 custom functions for BIFs, one using AF expansion and the other Zone AF.

Attachments

• IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Does that enhanced centre focus point still work if you use a f2.8 lens combined with a TC?

No because your then at f4 - 1.4tc or f5.6 2x tc.
Now i dont know about the non reporting TC such as the tamron .
Rob.
EDDIT
Just got a reply fron canon forum.
(the input information will be inaccurate so you wont get the enhanced focus with a non reporting tc )

Last edited:
Just got a reply fron canon forum.
(the input information will be inaccurate so you wont get the enhanced focus with a non reporting tc )

Not sure I believe that answer. The AF system will think you have an f2.8 lens attached so it will use the enhanced focus system.

That heron got an incredible eye like it, stick a 1.4tc in and report back please

I tried briefly with the (taped) Kenko Teleplus pro out of the window and it hunted a lot.

I was thinking I'd be saving T/Cs for tripod work anyway, especially with the video where reliable AF is kind of irrelevant once the shooting starts.

I tried briefly with the (taped) Kenko Teleplus pro out of the window and it hunted a lot.

I was thinking I'd be saving T/Cs for tripod work anyway, especially with the video where reliable AF is kind of irrelevant once the shooting starts.

Thanks for trying.................

Thanks for trying.................

It did work some of the time though. I'll try it again on sunny days with contrasty subjects.................like the Stellers Sea Eagles that overwinter near here for example.

I don't know if it's any good for BIFs to be honest. I'd use it for when the Eagles sit nice and still in the trees.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but will the 7D AF and the IS work when using say a 300 F4 coupled with a 2x TC.
No, the AF is limited to f5.6 for AF Paul just like the xxD cameras . There are mixed messages about how well it AF's with a taped tc and f5.6 lens.

I had another go with the 7D plus 100-400L/1.4 taped T/C on a tripod out of the window and didn't get much joy to be honest. I don't think I'll be using it much, I'd hate to miss a once in a lifetime shot because the AF couldn't lock on and by the time I manually focus the bird has gone.

But, as I said before, it'll be great for video.

I had another go with the 7D plus 100-400L/1.4 taped T/C on a tripod out of the window and didn't get much joy to be honest. I don't think I'll be using it much, I'd hate to miss a once in a lifetime shot because the AF couldn't lock on and by the time I manually focus the bird has gone.
There seems to be mixed message on this Stu - I was reading a post on another forum where one guy reckoned he got reasonable AF on the 7D with a taped 2x tc and 100-400 (hard to believe!) but the very next post was from someone who reported poor AF with a taped 1.4 and the same lens, just like you.

Thanks HokkaidoStu for trying it out again, I just thought that with a new camera they might have improved something that would give you better AF with a TC on a 400mm f5.6, but Roy I would I be right in thinking that on your 300mm f2.8 it should AF OK with a TC ?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back