• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calibration (1 Viewer)

HnehpetS

Wannabe Birder
i run a canon 30D and, for bird photography a 300mmf4 lens with a 1.4converter (or whatever they're called). I've noticed some comments in this place concerning calibration, can somebody give me a 'thickery' guide as to what this is about and how I get it done/checked. I presume 'calibration' in this sense is not referring to monitor/printer.

Cheers

StephenH

I checked in your gallery, if you took the images with AF and if you had 1.4 TC converter in as well, they look OK to me, don't think you need to get your lens or camrea calibrated, with some of the more expensive cameras you can mircro adjust the AF with your lens and camera.

Hi Stephen i agree with Nikon Kid i also took a look at your pics and theres no problem with your setup i can see there all sharp and in focus no probs .What calibrations about is some lenses front or back focus so you send your lens into the makers with the camera and they check it out and if they find its not quite right they calibrate the camera and lens so they dont front or back focus.Front focus means your set up is focusing infront of the subject back focus means your set up is focusing behind the intended subject.But as i said i dont think you have a problem Phill.

Thanks guys, I have a better understanding now. And now I think about it, prompted by your comments, I guess I don't have a problem in that area. I can't say I'm so happy with the resolution, but that may be more about expectation on my part.

Resolution can also be to do with how many pixels on your sensor are occupied by bird - ie a big crop won't show much even if it's perfectly in focus in perfect light with a perfect lens. Your pictures look good to me.

Resolution can also be to do with how many pixels on your sensor are occupied by bird - ie a big crop won't show much even if it's perfectly in focus in perfect light with a perfect lens.

I guess I have three options - get more pixels on my camera, get a bigger longer faster lens, get closer - there is a fourth option but I'll leave that unsaid as I quite enjoy the challange of the occasional wildlife shoot.;)

The one that cost no money, and yields better results most of the time is get closer, get some camo gear on to get even closer.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back