• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bio Diversity plan (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi to all,
I have been asked to put together a biodiversity action plan for my village. The request comes from the parish council and while I am more than happy to do it, I thought I would ask for some suggestions as to how to survey 12 square miles.
Does anyone have experience of tackling a project such as this? Any advice welcome.
Have now defined the area, the local geology and have a list of mammal, bird, dragonfly, damselfly, some insects, butterflies that are present. Need to survey bats, moths and trees this year. Moths not too tricky with moth trap etc, but trees could prove difficult. Would I take say 10 specific areas of 100 square yards for example and just survey each tree present, detailling type, height and presumed age?
Hope someone can help and obviously many thanks in anticpation.
best regards,
Jono

with the trees i would set up a transect along a specific distance then sample at a set distance apart. Hope that makes sense.
I think with my BAP plan, we didnt discuss age of trees, we just used ID. However when writting up the report we mention for example in a hedgerow which needs to be coppiced to leave the old dead trees to increase invertebrate etc.

Hi
Sorry i havnt had the internet i a few days and have travelled back from uni now where my info is stored. When are you going to be donig your survey as i shall not be back at university for a few weeks now. I will try and get it off someone i worked with on the project but im not sure how long that might take

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back