• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great bustards (1 Viewer)

I've not made an effort to go and see them, but have been lucky enough to see odd ones now and again while birding around the edges of Salisbury Plain, they are superb birds to see, and hopefully this year I'll see a bit of male courtship display somewhere. I have even seen interaction with Stone Curlew on one site, the bustard was completely un-bothered by it, and it was fascinating to see the size difference between the two. When bustards are feeding they have a peculiar 'ostrich-like' appearance.
So if you're in the Salisbury Plain area I'd certainly recommend keeping your eyes peeled.

I've not made an effort to go and see them, but have been lucky enough to see odd ones now and again while birding around the edges of Salisbury Plain, they are superb birds to see, and hopefully this year I'll see a bit of male courtship display somewhere. I have even seen interaction with Stone Curlew on one site, the bustard was completely un-bothered by it, and it was fascinating to see the size difference between the two. When bustards are feeding they have a peculiar 'ostrich-like' appearance.
So if you're in the Salisbury Plain area I'd certainly recommend keeping your eyes peeled.

Thanks for that, I am a member of the great bustard release group and booked a visit with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back