• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Fairy Tern, Blue Duck,... (1 Viewer)

Good afternoon

I will visit New Zealand between 7th and 28th of November. My planning is nearly done but I have some specific question regarding some species.

Fairy Tern: best place (only?) seems to be Waipu Estuary but could you provide me directions to reach the place? Is the end of Johnson Point rd (-35.997083, 174.480444) the good place to see the area?

Blue Duck: I collect lots of place from ebird but as I will have only few hours to look for where is the best area? Ruatiti, at -39.310096, 175.206037? Other spots?

Malherbe's Parakeet: I know it's a very difficult species at Arthur Pass but do I have a chance to spot this species? Where to look for?

Thanks for your help

Raphaël

This might help for the parakeet: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1385578&postcount=429 quite old gen now, but you want to go upriver to the confluence (c4k), turn right for a few hundred metres and get up onto the ridge. Think there are also translocated birds available on an island somewhere these days???

and maybe this for the tern: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1429322&postcount=497

lots of other (now quite old) NZ gen on the thread in general, all 5 kiwi spp seen etc. Can't remember offhand where we saw Blue Duck on that trip, I think it was not far from the Scot's Beach Great Spot Kiwi site.

good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back