• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Senegal? (1 Viewer)

Jochen

Hi all,

We decided to pay a visit to Senegal this year. I read that Senegal is (sort of) a birding heaven as well. Cool!

However, everywhere they talk about migratory birds that are there between november and april.

But we're going in September!

Hence my questions:
-Is it worth to go birding in Senegal outside the migratory season? Any birds letft? How about residential birds? Kingfishers, masked weavers, bee-eaters...
-How about humidity. I heard it can be very humid. No problem for a digital SLR?
-Any tips on where to go exactly?
-Anyone been to Niokolo-Koba NP? Is it possible to visit this park, coming from the seaside?

Thanks!

Resident birds are much the same as in the Gambia i.e. lots of them and well worth going to see. The new bird guide to the Gambia is likely to cover all or virtually all of Senegal species as well (unless someone knows better!).

Good luck

James

Its much the same as the Gambia with regard to the birds available. September is the tail end of the rainy season and is the hottest and most humid time of the year there.

http://www.wtgonline.com/data/sen/sen.asp

Humidity should only be a problem with digital cameras if you move from outside to inside air-conditioned buildings or vice versa, but if you get in the habit of storing your gear in a good padded camera bag the rate of temperature change, for the equipment inside, is slowed down and this wil then avoid the camera steaming up.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back