• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Landscape lens (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello

there are many options, i got confused.

Olympus 17 mm, or Pana 14 mm, or Sigma 19 mm.

i don't want to spend much, 400USD is the max.

thought also of the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 Lens for Panasonic Lumix G-Series Digital Cameras. the price is tempting.

but i think a fast prime might be better because i might be in Europe by mid March and i want to get nice landscapes at as low ISO as possible.

thanks so much.

Sorry, no experience with any of those primes. Have you checked out if there are images in dpreview with individual cameras taken with any of those lenses?

Niels

i did and i got very confused, what i concluded that they are all very similar in IQ. maybe the Olympus one is better for videos, but this is not my concern.

I have only experience with the Sigma 19mm which I love because of its fast AF, edge to edge sharpness, good contrast and nice colours. It is the lens that spends most time on my Olympus OM-D E-M5. Some of my examples can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/87078874@N07/sets/72157650526461385/

For landscape photo, I sometimes (not often) wish that the field of view was a bit wider and will therefore probably get the Panasonic 14 too. It seems to get good reviews everywere.

Looking into the used market, you can probably find the Panasonic 14 and the Sigma 19 for under 400 USD together so with that budget you may not have to choose...; )

I was considering the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 a little while ago, for landscapes and indoor photography at family get-togethers.

I asked about the lens on the Olympus forum which I use and most people who replied said that it was one of their favourite and most used lenses. Unfortunately I didn't go ahead with the purchase as a couple of unexpected household expenses relieved me of my money.

If you haven't done so, you could check out Robin Wong's review of the lens:

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/olympus-mzuiko-17mm-f18-review-street.html

Ron

One additional comment: if you are truly looking for a landscape lens, then many people do prefer the wider lenses. Given that this is for a travel and that you yourself mentioned zoom lens and fast lens, I wanted to ask this: have you considered the 12-35mm f2.8 lens from panasonic? Of less expensive zooms, I think this one got good reviews (I hope I remember correctly): http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/lenses/panasonic_12-32_3p5-5p6

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back