• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning natural log feeder (1 Viewer)

jimmy986

I made a log feeder. Basically drilled some holes in a log and used peanut butter and seeds. After one use there is some fuzzy mold and the wood inside is turning spots of green. How do I combat this? I wanted the natural log because I'm a photographer and it is much nicer than regular feeders.

The holes do not go all the way through. I'm guessing it would dry out better if they did because of the extra airflow. They also are angled down slightly so peanuts I put in won't fall out. That would collect moisture more as well.

Anything else I'm missing?

I know that as a photographer, you want to use a natural log for your bird photos, I felt the same way:) ... However, wood will harbor mold and could be hazardous for birds and for that reason, I stopped depending on a log, and actually what I use now is a feeding stick, a branch placed near the feeder, for the bird to land on, because birds will land on a branch before they go to my suet feeder. And this branch is changed weekly because it gets unsanitary as well. You do have to be quick to snap the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back