• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baked/roast peanuts good for birds? (1 Viewer)

hlk22

It's getting towards the end of the bird feeding season in the UK and I don't want to spend a fortune on bird food that may go off. I've seen a very good offer for baked peanuts for birds - just peanuts, no salt or oil or sugar. American bird associations recommend them but I can't find any info on UK sites. Advice from those who know would be much appreciated!

I believe they originate from South America.

https://www.backyardchirper.com/blog/a-guide-to-feeding-birds-with-peanuts/

This article recommends roasted peanuts in preference to raw. Certainly it would seem that roasting does no harm (though of course salting would be harmful).

I see that is correct, specifically the origin was probably the Argentine. I fell victim to what I was told as a toddler, that the peanuts we ate came from Egypt and China. You can over apply such things.

Call me cynical, but when I hear "baked peanuts for birds" I assume somebody is slapping a label with the words "for birds" on a bag of baked peanuts in order to raise the price.

Peanuts are seeds (more precisely, they're legumes, like peas or lentils) and lots of birds love them (though some have difficulty eating them, due to their size, and most prefer them already out of the shell).

Like other legumes but unlike many of the smaller seeds that backyard birds usually eat, a diet of almost-exclusively peanuts can be harmful to birds. Roasting avoids that problem by denaturing the trypsin inhibitors in peanuts.

Peanuts can be stored indefinitely as long as they are kept dry. Roasting them offers even further insurance, by killing any mold, insects, etc that might have gotten into the batch.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back