• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

Hey Happy New Year... I did some birding today with highlights being Red-shouldered Hawk, Brown Pelican, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, Yellowlegs sp., and a few Anhingas in SC.

The Firecrest said:
Glaucous Gull - less than annual
Iceland Gull - less than annual
Yellow-legged Gull - very scarce indeed, only regular on the Axe
Little Gull - very scarce unless you visit Dawlish Warren every day
Ring-billed Gull - unless you count a returning north Devon bird, Barnstable area, barely annual
Med Gull - scarce indeed
Yes, Devon is crap for gulls. There are no resevoirs like you have, all we get down here are Herring Gulls. I think I only have 4 patch records of BH Gull.

I saw 2 YLGs at the Murrelet, ad and 1w. Also saw 2 Glaucs in Devon in April...not that bad if you ask me! Agreed Draycote is good for gulls but i'd say Devon is on a par to Warks. Happy new year everyone. I'm not yearlisting this year after last year.

dan pointon said:
I saw 2 YLGs at the Murrelet, ad and 1w. Also saw 2 Glaucs in Devon in April...not that bad if you ask me! Agreed Draycote is good for gulls but i'd say Devon is on a par to Warks. Happy new year everyone. I'm not yearlisting this year after last year.

Agreed with Dan here. You can't really compare the two for gulls, they both have their good and bad points.

Gull watching in the two areas are two totally different ball games!

As for year lists, not going for it this year, but have had a couple of days out before school starts again. 114 BOU, and the amount of rubbish I am missing is incredible. Dipped all the good birds though.

Strolled along a woodland valley (very nice) a bit earlier, looking for Dippers alng the river. No luck but:
56 Fieldfare
57 Collared Dove
58 Long-tailed Tit
59 Mistle Thrush
60 Bullfinch

The Barn Owl said:
When do you lot get back to school?

I went back yesterday! Have only had 2 days for birding so far this year, but still managed to reach 118 today with the addition of Goosander and Corn Bunting.

Cracking little bird this morning, Firecrest at a local lake. Along with 9 other yearticks, yearlist now on a slightly more respectable 70.

I went back to school on Wednesday as well - hate that feeling when you get up on the first day back!

Only had one day of birding (and then only a couple of hours), so haven't bothered sorting out a list for 2007 yet

Nice one on the Firecrest, Firecrest

Sam

I don't bother with year lists, just Life and State (MA). I get a stater or lifer once in a while, and I couldn't see myself writing all those birds down. I don't really care about all the numbers, I just keep the lists for my own personal records. But I understand that for many, the year lists are alot of fun.

Hi there young birders,

Just had my first lifer of 2007 a couple days ago in Discovery Park in west Seattle. An awsome little bird, a Northern Saw-whet Owl! I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it perched on the low branches of a large cedar. As for the yardlist this year, for now I only have about 20. I hope I can match last year's final tally of 68! Ahhh.... can't get enough of those birds, I'm crazy about 'em.

Lucky........one of my top nemesis birds..........Oh well, I congratulate you!

Sorry, Jyothi. New Avatar!! One of the eagles I saw over the summer! Came within ten feet to grab fish!!!

Well you're offline atm!
Lovely views of a Barn Owl on my patch this afternoon, brings the yearlist to a small 75. Still haven't got any wader species yet!

I haven't had much of a start to my year list - 61 species so far. Highlights include Long-eared Owl, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Fox Sparrow and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The latter three are lingering birds that are good to get in January. OwlTalon, you really should keep a year list - its a lot of fun!! I also keep county lists, state lists, a list of birds that I've seen in one specific tree, etc....

Congrats on the Saw-whet, Tayler!! They are lovely little birds, aren't they?

--Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back