• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Had the first of year Black-necked Stilt and Peregrine falcon today after school.

When I was in 7th and 8th grade I was at a small little school in the country side, and saw many great birds. Western and Mountain Bluebirds, Townsend's Solitares, and many ducks and swans.

Now I go to the High School and there is not good birding. The best is probably some Mountain Chickadees, they are like your Willow Tit but with a bold white supercilium!

Cheers Connor. No news on the Little Crake yesterday. It's chucking it down with rain and my dad is pretty pissed off, so unless it's reported again at some point today, I'm not going to go.

Nick, I was in the south western Peloponnese, near the coast, an hour or so from Kalamata. Long drive from the airport in Athens.

Cool! You'll get spoonbill one day! On the other hand, I'd happily kill Steve for the other birds you got that day! What's it like birding in Malta, cos I heard the place is birdless (from a non-birder) - do you just have to know where to look? Or is it all migrant watching?

Hi
well Malta can be practically birdless (leaving out the few breeders) in summer. But in migration its great, usually. ;) yes you have to know were to be at the right time. gardens have much less birds than i think there is in the uk, though so your friend might have got the imperssion of a birdless island.
:C hunters kill LOTS of birds so many records are lost :C although its closed spring hunting season (and trapping) fot the 1st time in i don't know how many years, hunter are shooting down turtle doves and protected birds as if it is an open season. :C If only i had a shotgun there would be a few less hunters about too ;) ONLY JOKING OF COURSE ;)
Martin

Last edited:
The young norfolk birders will be (dont know about matt tho)... if it is still there on Saturday! If only we were school-skippers:-C

The young norfolk birders will be (dont know about matt tho)... if it is still there on Saturday! If only we were school-skippers:-C

I might personally handshake of all my teachers who are going on strike this thursday, if I can find a lift and convince my parents it'll be educational:smoke: (that's a no from mum)
I got the unconfirmed report through as I was finishing my maths coursework after 5 or so hours spent doing it because I left it to the last minute. Instead of trying to convince my dad (would of got there at dusk anyway) I had a jaunt round some local "mere's" which get some passage birds, and had 10 Little Gulls, 4 Common Terns, 2 Greenshank, 2 Dunlin (sum plum), 1 Sanderling, 1 Little Egret, 2 Avocet, and a drake Garganey. Ok, not great stuff (and still no Whimbrel, my most embarising bogey bird) but all good local birds, and who can resist a flock of Little Gulls passing through the scope as they fly through, dip feeding, back lit, showing off their dusky underwings, white trailing edges and rounded white wing tips. Fantastic...:smoke:

im 13 year old birder and some of my friends make fun of me for it
:[ i actuley have one friend who birdwatches in venesuala though-really cool

Hard luck, its seriously annoying isn't it. Hope it gets better for you!

Nice one Steve - I had a Ring Ouzel at the Sluice on Sunday (knew one would be there, but I really couldn't be bothered! Glad I did though). Also several hirundines, sedge warbler and willow warbler. Probably something I missed... mmm Aquatic warbler... Seriously though there must be so much unnoticed stuff around - just look at whats been found at Winterton with an increase in coverage!

Has anyone been for the Ross's Gull at Lytham St. Annes - it's a cracker and one of my best twitches yet.

Will post some pics on my Blog a bit later, but here's a taster for ya.

Attachments

• Picturet 248.jpg
    Picturet 248.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Picturet 256.jpg
    Picturet 256.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 83
Bit to far for me Nick and had the one at Languard ;) but seriously if it was closer I would. Transforming back into a patch birder now spring is upon us :eek!: but im sure Holme will deliver the goods B :) Despite no Black Lark Norfolk still looking like the place to be with all that stuff at Winterton and Wryneck at Burnham Ovary. I wondereed what is lurking not yet found :eat: winds switch south mid-week. hmmm interesting

Connor

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back