• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (9 Viewers)

mobile.....first had it right opposite the building site and then 5 mins later it sped out along the river to the 'square' between the two larger breakwaters. Female type. Good luck!

might be worth a look out tonight or tomorrow....2 dotterel, along with 30 wheatears reported at Rattray this afternoon.

In an unusual move I got up at 6am this morning to have a look round the Ness. In a less unusual move, I didn't see a lot. A Chiffchaff was a bit of a surprise, singing from the trees on Abbey Road. I also heard Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler. A Whimbrel was on the north shore and at least 6 Wheatears were around, mostly in Walker Park. 2 Arctic Terns went south. There was the usual Bottlenose Dolphin action, as there has been all week. Otherwise it was quite windy and cold. Still, easterlies forecast for this week, so perhaps some early rises might be rewarded.

A Red-throated Diver went north this evening, which was exciting.

Birdline Torry: Mid-evening update

Had a quick look out to sea just now. In addition to hordes of dolphin business, one Whimbrel went north and then I had a big shiny house tick (I think a Girdle Ness tick in fact): a Shelduck going south over the harbour mouth.

more good stuff at the ness this morning...chiffchaff singing in the sycamore, drake tufty in the harbour, a few whimbrel north, 2 arctic skua north, a house martin moving north with a steady trickle of swallows, and last, but by no means least, a stonking ducktastic pair of GADWALL!!!! north past the foghorn. It's been a long time but was worth the wait!

Several Swifts over town this morning. Also, two Whimbrel north and one south and two Red-throated Divers north. There weren't any dolphins around the harbour mouth just now but I did get some mammalian compensation when I picked out an Otter in the calm waters just off the North Pier. I first noticed the distinctive tail flick as it dived and then saw it a couple more times as it surfaced and swam further out into the river. A nice flat tick.

Yesterday there were still at least 20 Purple Sandpipers flying about. I had three interesting looking ducks coming in off the sea but annoyingly lost track of them before I could secure an ID. I think Shoveler was the most likely from what little I saw.

Last edited:
1st w White billed diver briefly off Nigg bay this morning, and then flew off north past the ness. Almost certainly the bird I called you about last night Andrew as Andy's bird was a 1st w too. Also offshore, 4 shelduck 3 north and 1 south (common as muck round here these days!!) and 2 wigeon south. Not a lot (ie nothing) in the way of passerine migs though.

1st w White billed diver briefly off Nigg bay this morning, and then flew off north past the ness. Almost certainly the bird I called you about last night Andrew as Andy's bird was a 1st w too. Also offshore, 4 shelduck 3 north and 1 south (common as muck round here these days!!) and 2 wigeon south. Not a lot (ie nothing) in the way of passerine migs though.

Looks like my annual dipping of WB Diver has come early this year. Well done though!

There's only so much sea you can cover during a lunch break and i tried my hardest:

2 red throated divers in nigg bay
1 suspect diver flying further out to sea (from the outer reaches of nigg bay heading east)

Other than that, a beautiful day out there!

maybe try later on.

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back