• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (9 Viewers)

Had a look round the Ness late afternoon. A single Knot was roosting on Skate's Nose and a Ruff was seen flying up from Greyhope Bay and over the golf course. A couple of Wheatears were on the North Bank. Off the Coo not too much was moving except for a single Arctic Skua and a Common Scoter. Then I get a text saying there'd been a Sabine's Gull seen flying south at Donmouth, close in with Kittiwakes. I bet it's going to the harbour, I thought. I also remembered that me and Sabine's Gulls tend to 'practice avoidance' as they say.

Mark showed up and we had a good look together, but despite the vast numbers of Kittiwakes it was nowhere to be seen. Whilst looking we did find two Little Gulls, yesterday's adult and a nice juvenile. Other stuff included 8 Sanderling and possibly up to five Dunlin, 12 Wigeon and two Teal. A Red-throated Diver went south.

When I got back to the flat I could see there were absolutely stacks of Kittiwakes north of the harbour off the south end of the beach. I bet the Sabs was in with them.

Given some promising weather over the past few days (when I was conveniently away) I was hopeful there might be a bit about today. Despite finding a long-awaited patch tick it was actually a bit poor. The only migrants were, not for the first time this autumn, on Abbey Road - a couple of Willow Warblers. If there were any other migrants around yesterday then they hadn't stuck around as far as I could tell. Around a dozen Sanderling flew over the harbour mouth and a juvenile Peregrine went over Walker Park. Almost nothing was moving out to sea, apart from a few Red-throated Divers and two Teal. The consolation came on Nigg Bay where, in amongst a small group of gulls, I noticed a juvenile Mediterranean Gull - a bird that seems to be really quite scarce at Girdle Ness. I was getting my camera out for a shot when it flew off to the north.

Further conclusive proof that I should spend more time hanging my washing out in the garden came when four Crossbills flew south this morning: my fourth house tick of the autumn. Also a few Grey Wagtails about.

I think mowing the lawn is my most productive.
How often do you get to hang the washing out in Torry? Also how often is it still there by the time it's dry?!

Rob

Come to think of it my best bird putting the bins out is Green Sandpier (twice) putting the washing out is Lesser Whitethroat but mowing the lawn is Red-rumped Swallow (and Hoopoe) so you are right Rob.

I think mowing the lawn is my most productive.
How often do you get to hang the washing out in Torry? Also how often is it still there by the time it's dry?!

Rob

The Costa del Torry is renowned for its excellent drying conditions, so quite regularly. And, fingers crossed, none of it's been nicked yet. Must be that my clothes are too rubbish to steal.

The Costa del Torry is renowned for its excellent drying conditions, so quite regularly. And, fingers crossed, none of it's been nicked yet. Must be that my clothes are too rubbish to steal.

The plot thickens Andrew.

Can the washing drying outdoors be related to the several items of clothing,found round "The Ness" over the past years ? Perhaps some of your own garments may feature in a photo on this thread..! ;)

The plot thickens Andrew.

Can the washing drying outdoors be related to the several items of clothing,found round "The Ness" over the past years ? Perhaps some of your own garments may feature in a photo on this thread..! ;)

Hmm, well, I'm pretty sure none of them were mine. Perhaps those without gardens use the Ness to dry their clothes, taking advantage of the excellent drying conditions. That's my hunch.

Felt a little bit 'rare' today, and this feeling was aided by the Pallid Harrier seen at the Ythan and Blackdog. I spent a while looking out my window, hoping it would come past but it seems the house list isn't ready for such a mega yet.

Onward to the Ness. It's been a while since I had a proper look round. Today was mostly a disappoint and not particularly rare at all. I wondered if any migrants would be about. Well, there were lots of Blackbirds, Robins and Dunnocks (probably at least 20 of the latter) but not too much else. One species that was about was Blackcap, of which there were five. Three of these were at the Mound, where there was also the first Brambling of the autumn and Torry scarce in the shape of a Treecreeper. Other stuff that was about included two Sparrowhawks, two Song Thrushes, two Wheatears, three Grey Wagtails and a Coal Tit. Seven Snipe were flushed from the marsh in Nigg Bay. A Bonxie and a Teal were offshore. Not too much else though. The only hirundine today was a single Swallow and no terns were seen.

Bit grey and damp here today but things cleared up somewhat in the afternoon, enabling me to take in the red-hot migrant action. Actually the migrants were pretty similar to yesterday, with very little about on the north side of the Ness at all. Five Blackcaps, a Willow Warbler and a Chiffchaff was the best I managed around various spots in Torry.

When I was looking round the Battery I heard a Green Sandpiper calling and then caught sight of it as it flew south over the golf course. It might have headed down to Nigg Bay. Only the second I've ever had here. Not too many other waders about, apart from one Dunlin on Skate's Nose. Off the Coo were four Arctic Skuas, two Bonxies and two Red-throated Divers.

On the south side things were a bit better. A Yellow-browed Warbler had been reported earlier in the day and I soon managed to re-find this, flitting about in the burnt gorse on the hill above the Nigg Bay car park. Very lovely birds, as always. Rather incredibly it was a patch tick. Whilst looking for it, a very fine Short-eared Owl flew around the golf course, giving some great views. It's a while since I've seen one here.

Other stuff included thirteen Wheatears, two Goldcrests and a Song Thrush. A few Swallows and House Martins were still about.

Rather quiet around the Ness this afternoon. The best was a winter-plumaged Black Guillemot off the Coo. Also a Manx Shearwater north close in and four Teal and three Wigeon also passing through. Three Red-throated Divers on Nigg Bay and a Wheatear was along the south bank. Eight Snipe were in the marsh in Nigg Bay. Not really very autumnal fare.

On the south side things were a bit better. A Yellow-browed Warbler had been reported earlier in the day and I soon managed to re-find this, flitting about in the burnt gorse on the hill above the Nigg Bay car park. Very lovely birds, as always. Rather incredibly it was a patch tick.

That is incredible; I remember them as being pretty much annual in my era. I never managed Pallas's though.

That is incredible; I remember them as being pretty much annual in my era. I never managed Pallas's though.

It is surprising - I think they've been pretty much annual in recent years and last year there were at least three. I just seem to miss them. I saw Pallas's in (I think) 2005 at the Battery. Would be nice to get one of those again.

Bird of the day so far was a Short-eared Owl flying east along Victoria Road this morning. Quite a strange thing to see as I went off to the shops. It more-or-less flew over the flat but I can't count it on my house list because I wasn't at home at the time!

Bird of the day so far was a Short-eared Owl flying east along Victoria Road this morning. Quite a strange thing to see as I went off to the shops. It more-or-less flew over the flat but I can't count it on my house list because I wasn't at home at the time!

Alternatively you could just rewrite your rules.....?

Alternatively you could just rewrite your rules.....?

But as I repeatedly say, if we're going to have competitive listing then it needs to be effectively policed. Time and time again we've seen that if the rules are not clear and transparent and if they're not adhered to then chaos will rule. Somebody has to judge the authenticity of records of birds from my house and some might say that it's contentious that I am judge of a competition that I am also actively involved with. This is a position that provokes hostility from some quarters. But who else will step into my shoes and allow listing from my flat to take over their lives in the way it has done mine? I for one lament the lost days of the 80s when birders served an apprenticeship and there were real characters in birding and....

... Sorry I seem to have slipped into some sort of strange reverie there - a virtual out of body experience even. Anyway, back to birds in Torry.

I had another scoot round the Ness this afternoon, which was rather mild and pleasant. We had important news on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser, which now stands at:

Let's keep it going! Also roosting were 34 Turnstones, one Dunlin and 17 Ringed Plover. My first two Long-tailed Ducks of the winter flew north. Off the Coo a few birds were moving through, including three Arctic Skuas, a Bonxie, a Manx Shearwater and two Teal. A few good seabirds were seen off the Aberdeenshire coast today, so maybe I should have stuck with it a bit longer! Six Red-throated Divers were on Nigg Bay and ten Snipe were in the marsh. There weren't too many migrants in evidence, aside from three Wheatears and two Song Thrushes.

Rather a good day at the Ness today, although not in quite the way I expected. I was hoping for a few migrants but they were almost entirely lacking. In terms of passerines the only thing of note was a flock of twelve Fieldfares flying east over Abbey Road. Better was a Jack Snipe that I put up from along the north shore, not too far from Inverdee House. It was just resting in the grass at the top of the beach and flew off over the allotments. A rather moribund Sandwich Tern was on the rocks on the north shore. Otherwise the Ness was pretty dead, aside from a scattering of Blackbirds and Robins.

I wasn't expecting the sea to be any good, given the unfavourable wind direction, but I actually enjoyed my best seawatch of the year for an hour or two. Very strangely, almost everything was heading south and, with it being a little misty offshore, quite a few birds were relatively close in. Streams of Gannets and Kittiwakes were drifting by, then a Manx Shearwater went through just offshore. I thought this might be promising. Ducks were going by from time-to-time, with at least nine Goldeneye, seven Wigeon, six Teal, three Common Scoter and two Long-tailed Ducks. Skuas were the big feature though. Six Arctic Skuas went through, including two pale-phase adults. Then a nice full-bellied, plodding juvenile Pomarine Skua came in before heading on south. Then things got even better with a really striking, almost white-headed juvenile Long-tailed Skua. I couldn't believe how obvious a bird this was, and it looked really small when it got chased by a Common Gull. My first at Girdle Ness, and not before time. Three Sooty Shearwaters also went south in quick succession - even close enough to get some high quality pictures (see below). Then, rather inevitably, a Short-eared Owl flew in off the sea, for which impertinence it received considerable grief from the local gulls.

A Treecreeper was again at the mound in Torry later on.

Below: an actual Sooty Shearwater photographed off the actual Girdle Ness.

Attachments

• Sooty Shearwater_Girdle_Ness_141011a.jpg
    Sooty Shearwater_Girdle_Ness_141011a.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 110
Having broken my Torry duck a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have to wait long to see my next Yellow-browed Warbler. I'd only just started my wander round when one started calling in the sycamores along Abbey Road. It only called briefly at first but then much more persistently before showing for a few seconds in the tree tops. It never really showed well, but kept calling, before flying off to the other side of the waste ground.

That was actually about the best of it, although I did manage a good patch bird when a flock of seven Tree Sparrows flew over the north bank towards the allotment. One of them was then seen well, perched in one of the small trees on the north bank. A female Blackcap yielded to the tender embrace of the sycamore tree. Not much in the way of migrants otherwise. A Wheatear was at the Battery and I flushed a phyllosc on the south side of the golf course (probably just a Willow/Chiff). A Goosander was on the river and thirty Wigeon flew out towards the sea. Offshore were two Bonxies and an Arctic Skua.

Rather a beautiful autumn's day at Girdle Ness today, although it did get a bit windier later. I did the usual jaunt around this morning. Not much was on Abbey Road, aside from a calling Goldcrest. The allotments were also devoid of migrants but things improved when I was walking along the north bank just below. A bird flew into the small sycamore that's a couple of hundred yards west of the 'big tree', and I was surprised to see it was a fantastic Barred Warbler. Quite a well-marked bird with a strikingly yellow eye for a juvenile (maybe indicating that it's a male?). It lumbered around for five minutes or so and I even managed a few pictures, at least of various bits of it.

Not too much else was happening. A Reed Bunting was a little unusual further along the north bank. Offshore were one Arctic Skua, one Red-throated Diver, one Common Scoter and five Teal. In Nigg Bay there was a Kestrel and just three Snipe (the marsh is much drier than a week ago). A Treecreeper was again at the mound and a Grey Wagtail was at Provost Hogg.

Here are some pictures of the Barred Warbler. Check out those undetail covert chevrons!

Attachments

• Barred Warbler_Girdle Ness_161011a.jpg
    Barred Warbler_Girdle Ness_161011a.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Barred Warbler_Girdle_Ness_161011b.jpg
    Barred Warbler_Girdle_Ness_161011b.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Barred Warbler_Girdle_Ness_161011c.jpg
    Barred Warbler_Girdle_Ness_161011c.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back