• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

today Spooner with engraved lime green flag 04 in Rudong.

Baz Hughes from Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust has provided this information;

"This bird – an adult male - was ringed at Meina on 20 June 2013 and, I think, is the mate of Light Green 03."

So good to be getting sightings of these birds as they head back north.

Ken

The next day 05 was seen and probably 04 seen at the same spot.

Lime green 05 has been seen as well? That's excellent news. I'm losing track now - wasn't that bird seen further south earlier in the winter? I'll have to go through a few posts on Facebook and see if I can work out who's been seen.

Ken

Yes.05 was seen in the wintering ground as I remember.
The numbers of wader species and the flagged birds can help us to know roughly how many days they stay in Rudong area in spring migration.

If Spooner just uses it as a stop-over site and just spend a few days here,then there might be a staging site somewhere further north.

I may start a new thread, but does anyone know what happened to all the spooners held in captivity in the UK?

thanks, alan

Hey Alan

You're probably best looking at this website and following the blog. There's news on the headstarting of birds in the wild and updates on the captive birds. Everything crossed for a successful breeding season this year at Slimbridge and in Chukotka.

Happy birding
Ken

Yesterday and the day before yesterday the number of RNS dropped a lot and only about 10 Dunlin left in Rudong,while still many Sandlings from South Australia.
No Spooner was seen.

Yesterday and the day before yesterday the number of RNS dropped a lot and only about 10 Dunlin left in Rudong,while still many Sandlings from South Australia.
No Spooner was seen.

Thanks Mcaribou

They must all be heading north. I know the team are in place and waiting for the Spoonies at Meinopylgyno but they've not arrived yet. It should be any day now!

Ken

this afternoon I just witnessed the arrival of a flock of Eastern Curlew and then saw the first adult Spooner this autumn in Rudong when walking back to the seawall after a normal mudflat birding.

it had no wing moult at all.no bands.
I guess it just arrived this afternoon.

later I saw some other waders arriving.

on 16 Aug one adult with lime green flag engraved 09 and on 18 Aug the other one with plain lime green flag were seen in Rudong,with quite a few other individuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back