• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 1 V3 or similar - good birdphoto camera? (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi!

I am thinking of getting more seriously into bird photography! ;)

I have done some digiscoping with a Fujifilm X10 camera and my Vortex Razor HD 85 spotting scope, but I feel that this doesn't cut it for me anymore.

After reading a few theads on his forum, and doing some research elsewhere on the net, I have pretty much settled on the Nikon 1 V3 or similar-class camera as my starting point.

I want to be able to photograph birds in flight, and don't want to lug around a heavy DSLR with huge lenses. I also want a camera that can do both digiscoping and telephotography with dedicated prime/zoom lenses.

I am going to use this camera in the summer months when there is plenty of light, as I will probably get a full frame DSLR/mirrorless for astro and such in the winter.

As I understand the Nikon 1 can accept the Nikkor lenses with an adapter. Would the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED be a good lens for this camera? How does the 1 NIKKOR 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6 zoom stack up as a birdphoto lens?

If anyone has any suggestions or insights with regard to the camera, lenses or other tips, I would be grateful! :t:

Last edited:
The Nikon 1 V3 is an awesome modular ultra fast camera, coupled with the 70-300mm cx lens it makes it a perfect birding setup that is light weight, super fast (up to 60 fps), you can do video and photos at the same time uninterrupted, fast focusing and response. I just bought also the Nikon 300mm PF lens along with the FT1 adapter and it works awesome , I can use teleconverters, etc. Combined with my full frame Nikon D810, I can use my other lenses with the little camera.

The Nikon 1 V3 is an awesome modular ultra fast camera, coupled with the 70-300mm cx lens it makes it a perfect birding setup that is light weight, super fast (up to 60 fps), you can do video and photos at the same time uninterrupted, fast focusing and response. I just bought also the Nikon 300mm PF lens along with the FT1 adapter and it works awesome , I can use teleconverters, etc. Combined with my full frame Nikon D810, I can use my other lenses with the little camera.

Hi Bob! Your conclusions are the same as mine. I'll get the Nikon 1 V3 with the 70-300mm CX lens then. Maybe I'll upgrade to the new 300mm f4 VR in due course.

HN

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back