• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x42 v EL8x32 comaprison - anyone tried both (2 Viewers)

popeye67

SLC 8x42 v EL8x32 comparison - anyone tried both

I would be grateful for opinions on comparing the SLC 8x42 and EL 8x32, both variants are the latest models. I own the ELs and there are several things about them I don't like (just personal choice, not keen on their "feel" in the hand, not keen on the Field Pro strap system etc - I can't fault them optically). Yesterday had an opportunity to use the latest variant of the 8x42 SLC and am very taken with them, I liked the feel of them and they seemed good optically. Unfortunately, however, I did not get much time to compare. Has anyone out there owned both and able to give me an objective view on long term use?

Thanks in advance :t:

Paul, just a comment on the Fieldpro strap system, I love it, its so easy and quick to put on the rain guard when needed rather than leaving it on all the time, also the way the attachment points allow the strap to pivot around really works for me, I`m sold and really notice when using a conventional strap on my other binoculars.

I will get a harness now as well, because its so easy to change the strap over.

John.

Paul .... I compared the Swaro 8X32 EL SV and the Swaro SLC 8X42 WB a couple of times but I was never able to dismiss some of my issues with the 8X32 to the point that I wanted to buy one. I did ultimately get a Swaro SLC 8X42 WB HD (prior version with the close focus).

The most notable comparison was about three years ago at a show. The vendor across the aisle from the Swaro table had a very black back cloth covering the wall behind their booth. The material had a low cut fine nap similar to a fuzzy microfiber cloth. There were also thin vertical indentation lines in the backdrop about a 1/2 of an inch apart (13 mm). The show was inside a convention room with ceiling lights everywhere.

The first view was with the SLC and I turned around and focused on the wall. The black showed as nice and black, the fuzz was sharp as could be and so were the thin lines. I then did the same with the 8X32 EL SV and the difference was surprising. Rather than a nice deep black, the view had a noticeable milky type hazy look. I could not make out the nap or the lines. The detail was lost.

My theory is that the 8X32 had a difficult time handling all of that stray light from the multiple ceiling lights. I went to confirm my findings a couple of months later at a Cabela's store. They have multiple ceiling lights and some large windows above the main entrance and a mounted bear on the wall just to the right of the window. Again, the detail in the bear was more noticeable with the SLC however the difference was not as great as in the first test. I did take the time to adjust the diopters in both of these comparisons.

I suspect the 8X32 EL SV would do better in the real world outdoors but not as well as the SLC. There are several comments on the forum from members reporting glare issues with the 8X32. I do have a couple of larger model SV EL's which I think deal with stray light better than their little sibling, but I do pick up some slight stray light issues in them that I do not see in the SLC and other models There is a lot to like in the 8X32 but I just could bring myself to pay two grand for one that I thought could not handle stray light as well as some much less expensive models. I also picked up a little bit of a rolling ball image when panning, but not enough that it would have killed the purchase.

Actually, I liked the way the 8X32 felt and handled and I find the ease of eye placement in Swaro products to be about the best out there. Then there is the edge sharpness which is excellent. So there is a lot to like about the 8X32.

So by going with the SLC, I think you will get a binocular that will be better in handling stray light conditions and will be a little brighter in low light situations with the larger exit pupil. The SLC is fairly compact for a 42mm but it is noticeably heavier than the 8x32 EL SV. The SLC also has the advantage of no rolling ball if that is an issue for you. You do lose that excellent edge sharpness of the EL SV, but the SLC has one of the larger center views out there and the sharpness fall off is not that extreme. Everything remains sharp in the normal area of vision. Also keep in mind that the SLC has a little smaller FOV but the change is probably not enough to notice.

Like you, I personally prefer the simplicity of the old strap design, but it is not a big deal to me. Maybe if I used one for a while, I would be change my mind and be with John.

The new SLC does not have the close focus of the prior generation or of the 8X32 EL SV. Optically, the current and prior generation of the SLC are considered the same.

The bottom line for me is that I am very happy with the SLC. My only complaint is the focus is not as smooth as it should be for an alpha level binocular. That is also true for many of the EL's that I have tried, although the new ones are much better. If it does start to bother me, I can send it into Swaro under warranty here in the US and they can improve things.

If the lack of close focus on a new model is an issue, then consider the Zeiss 8X42 HT. Both are excellent and I consider them equivalent. If a more compact size is a priority, then the advantage goes with the SLC. If close focus and a slightly better light transmission is more important, then the HT wins out. You can not go wrong with either. I went with SLC because my brother has the HT and I thought it would be good to get something different and also because the seller made an offer I could not refuse.

Paul, just a comment on the Fieldpro strap system, I love it, its so easy and quick to put on the rain guard when needed rather than leaving it on all the time, also the way the attachment points allow the strap to pivot around really works for me, I`m sold and really notice when using a conventional strap on my other binoculars.

I will get a harness now as well, because its so easy to change the strap over.

John.

Hi John, thank you for your thoughts. With me it is just personal choice that I don't like the Fieldpro mounting system. I don't really like the nylon cord and the freedom it has to rotate, also I wear my bins quite high up and end up with a rather long dangly stray end of excessive cord (I can't bring myself to cut it off, despite the suggestion having been made).

I am not implying poor design etc from Swarovski, I just prefer the old fashioned flat strap. To this end I have a Fieldpro strap mounted on Swaro Floating Strap adaptors, which is a part way solution for me.

All the best

Paul

Paul .... I compared the Swaro 8X32 EL SV and the Swaro SLC 8X42 WB a couple of times but I was never able to dismiss some of my issues with the 8X32 to the point that I wanted to buy one. I did ultimately get a Swaro SLC 8X42 WB HD (prior version with the close focus).

The most notable comparison was about three years ago at a show. The vendor across the aisle from the Swaro table had a very black back cloth covering the wall behind their booth. The material had a low cut fine nap similar to a fuzzy microfiber cloth. There were also thin vertical indentation lines in the backdrop about a 1/2 of an inch apart (13 mm). The show was inside a convention room with ceiling lights everywhere.

The first view was with the SLC and I turned around and focused on the wall. The black showed as nice and black, the fuzz was sharp as could be and so were the thin lines. I then did the same with the 8X32 EL SV and the difference was surprising. Rather than a nice deep black, the view had a noticeable milky type hazy look. I could not make out the nap or the lines. The detail was lost.

My theory is that the 8X32 had a difficult time handling all of that stray light from the multiple ceiling lights. I went to confirm my findings a couple of months later at a Cabela's store. They have multiple ceiling lights and some large windows above the main entrance and a mounted bear on the wall just to the right of the window. Again, the detail in the bear was more noticeable with the SLC however the difference was not as great as in the first test. I did take the time to adjust the diopters in both of these comparisons.

I suspect the 8X32 EL SV would do better in the real world outdoors but not as well as the SLC. There are several comments on the forum from members reporting glare issues with the 8X32. I do have a couple of larger model SV EL's which I think deal with stray light better than their little sibling, but I do pick up some slight stray light issues in them that I do not see in the SLC and other models There is a lot to like in the 8X32 but I just could bring myself to pay two grand for one that I thought could not handle stray light as well as some much less expensive models. I also picked up a little bit of a rolling ball image when panning, but not enough that it would have killed the purchase.

Actually, I liked the way the 8X32 felt and handled and I find the ease of eye placement in Swaro products to be about the best out there. Then there is the edge sharpness which is excellent. So there is a lot to like about the 8X32.

So by going with the SLC, I think you will get a binocular that will be better in handling stray light conditions and will be a little brighter in low light situations with the larger exit pupil. The SLC is fairly compact for a 42mm but it is noticeably heavier than the 8x32 EL SV. The SLC also has the advantage of no rolling ball if that is an issue for you. You do lose that excellent edge sharpness of the EL SV, but the SLC has one of the larger center views out there and the sharpness fall off is not that extreme. Everything remains sharp in the normal area of vision. Also keep in mind that the SLC has a little smaller FOV but the change is probably not enough to notice.

Like you, I personally prefer the simplicity of the old strap design, but it is not a big deal to me. Maybe if I used one for a while, I would be change my mind and be with John.

The new SLC does not have the close focus of the prior generation or of the 8X32 EL SV. Optically, the current and prior generation of the SLC are considered the same.

The bottom line for me is that I am very happy with the SLC. My only complaint is the focus is not as smooth as it should be for an alpha level binocular. That is also true for many of the EL's that I have tried, although the new ones are much better. If it does start to bother me, I can send it into Swaro under warranty here in the US and they can improve things.

If the lack of close focus on a new model is an issue, then consider the Zeiss 8X42 HT. Both are excellent and I consider them equivalent. If a more compact size is a priority, then the advantage goes with the SLC. If close focus and a slightly better light transmission is more important, then the HT wins out. You can not go wrong with either. I went with SLC because my brother has the HT and I thought it would be good to get something different and also because the seller made an offer I could not refuse.

Hi Bruce, thank you for your thoughts, I really appreciate your attention to detail here and it has answered my queries and put my mind at rest. I think that ultimately it will come down to which feels better "in the hand" as the differences are few. Incidentally I have also experienced some glare from my EL 8x32s but not found it a major issue. I am thinking of trading the ELs in against the SLCs and they certainly seem to be a fair comparison, especially as I tend to prefer a slightly "softer" focus. Your guidance has helped me a great deal here.

Thanks again and best wishes

Paul

Paul I did`nt read your post correctly, if I had I`d have noticed you owned the EL so have good experience of the strap and have already reached a qualified opinion.

I just noticed this as new, older SLC HD for sale from a retail seller on eBay, I preferred them to the current SLC, plus they have a good close focus, hardly ever does one come up for sale, and certainly not in mint condition, don`t think they`ll be around to buy for very long.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swarovski...073356?hash=item1a1d616b0c:g:WvkAAOSwYIxX-qcz

John.

Paul I did`nt read your post correctly, if I had I`d have noticed you owned the EL so have good experience of the strap and have already reached a qualified opinion.

I just noticed this as new, older SLC HD for sale from a retail seller on eBay, I preferred them to the current SLC, plus they have a good close focus, hardly ever does one come up for sale, and certainly not in mint condition, don`t think they`ll be around to buy for very long.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swarovski...073356?hash=item1a1d616b0c:g:WvkAAOSwYIxX-qcz

John.

Hi John, funnily enough I was looking at them just this morning and am sorely tempted :t:

Cheers

Paul

I have a near new set of the SLC HDs and have really enjoyed them. I listed them for sell on a hunting site for $1375 shipped, but then decided to hold them for awhile.

Then I picked up a set of the 8x32 EL demos that arrived today (although they look like NIB).

My initial impression is that the SLC HD is alpha in every since of the word. The EL does shave some ounces. I was able to focus in on some writing on the fridge in both pairs around 6 feet.

If the EL can hang in at last light maybe the SLC will get sold.

If I would have read up in time I could have swapped Paul.

After some thought I'm thinking of trying to optimize my binocular set up to the 8x32 for lightweight, 10x42 for all around, and a 12 or 15x 50 for a little long range kick.

Hi John, funnily enough I was looking at them just this morning and am sorely tempted :t:

Cheers

Paul

Paul ..... I am with John and prefer the prior HD model because of the close focus and the styling. The end result optically should be the same. Oh, and thanks for the kind words!

Not so fast. Allbinos notes a different transmission profile for the newer SLC as compared to the old SLC -HD and concludes:

"The improvement is noticeable. A distinct incline of the transmission line was eliminated and its value increased so, in the centre of the visible spectrum it reaches a high level of 92-93%. It means the binoculars are able to deliver more light to your eyes than their predecessor and the colors are more lifelike."

Per Dr. G's testing via House of Outdoors web site (No margin of error noticed)

SLC 8X42 WB (2015)
500 nm 88%
550 nm 91%

SLC 8X42 WB HD (2011)
500 nm 89%
555 nm 92%

Graphs of above .......

0 SLC Combined.jpg

Allbinos:

SLC 8X42 - Not tested

My initial impression is that the SLC HD is alpha in every since of the word. The EL does shave some ounces. I was able to focus in on some writing on the fridge in both pairs around 6 feet.

If the EL can hang in at last light maybe the SLC will get sold.

Check them in difficult lighting conditions. I find the SV 8x32 has rather obvious problems with veiling glare. Veiling glare is the reason why I didn't get them after some trials last summer.

But then veiling glare is one of the things I don't like at all in binoculars.

Hermann

Check them in difficult lighting conditions. I find the SV 8x32 has rather obvious problems with veiling glare. Veiling glare is the reason why I didn't get them after some trials last summer.

Hermann

Can only agree with you and Bruce, I've had both.
I traded the SLC8x42wb for the EL8x32sv, and I regret it ever since.
Sold the 8x32 because I just could not accept the severe veiling glare it was showing sometimes, which I found too disturbing in several field trips.
I've had it next to our Terra ED 8x42, and in some cases before dawn, I couldn't see @#$% with the EL, while the Terra performed as it should.....

It's a fantastic bino, except for the glare resistance. It has been back to the factory and I asked to check it for glare and apparently, it met the factory specs.
Since I couldn't live with the glare issue, I ended up selling it. Wish I never had sold the SLC.....
I still like most Swaro's but the 8x32 isn't one of them. Too expensive to have serious (at least for me...) flaws.

Hermann

Can only agree with you and Bruce, I've had both.
I traded the SLC8x42wb for the EL8x32sv, and I regret it ever since.
Sold the 8x32 because I just could not accept the severe veiling glare it was showing sometimes, which I found too disturbing in several field trips.
I've had it next to our Terra ED 8x42, and in some cases before dawn, I couldn't see @#$% with the EL, while the Terra performed as it should.....

It's a fantastic bino, except for the glare resistance. It has been back to the factory and I asked to check it for glare and apparently, it met the factory specs.
Since I couldn't live with the glare issue, I ended up selling it. Wish I never had sold the SLC.....
I still like most Swaro's but the 8x32 isn't one of them. Too expensive to have serious (at least for me...) flaws.

The only time I see glare in the SV 8x32 Fieldpro is when viewing landscape slightly to the left or right, below the afternoon sun. This past Monday I was at a marsh at 5 PM with the sun over an island in front of me at 25 deg altitude. Looking directly at the island right below the sun (between the sun and water reflection) was not a bad experience. I had to be careful, but I could make out a belted kingfisher at over 100 mts clearly. I saw some glare when panning to the left or right of that position. Once I moved more to the left or right the glare went away. I had no problems in keeping with the belted as it was chasing a female all over the place under the sun. I did not have my UVHD 10x42 to compare, but I see glare in all my bins at that spot including the 8x30 EII and B&L Discoverer 7x42.

This morning I had a chance to compare the SV 32 to the SLC 8x42(newer version) for 10 minutes. Both views showed the same brilliant Swaro image. Even the FOV and DOF were similar. The SLC has a wide sweet spot and the SV with it's flatter view was more to my liking. The SLC handled quite beautifully, but the SV was the winner with its ergonomics, lesser weight, better eye relief and ease of view. You could pick either one and be happy. With the bright sun behind me over the trees I couldn't get a chance to test glare. Looks wise SV is the clear winner. If the SV Traveler edition is Cinderella dancing with the prince, the SLC looks like Cinderella before she got the glass slippers from the fairy godmother |:d| I'd definitely not trade in my SV for SLC. If I am forced to pick just one pair of binoculars to keep the SV 8x32 would be my only choice.

I've arranged to have a thorough test out on the SLCs in the next fortnight so I will compare the two and let you guys know what I think - it is always difficult comparing though as our eyes all differ slightly. You might yet see my ELs advertised on Birdforum....

I'm a member on a hunting sight and a member has an amazing deal on the newer version of SLC. $1275
Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD with outdoorsman stud FS (Like new)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=47278&share_fid=45046&share_type=t

Hi, sorry for the late response I have been out of town for a bit. Thank you for letting me know though - but with the current £-$ exchange rate that is, sadly, not cost effective at the moment. I will keep an eye on it though :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back