• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forums: new posts query (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Yo all, I work away from home for 4 weeks at a time and in the past when logging onto BF have just hit the "Forums: New Posts" button and been presented with pages and pages to wade through and easily catch up with threads. On returning home last night after only 14 days away I had very few (can't remember exact number) So tonight browing through the forums I was suprised to find loads of stuff the New Posts button had not thrown up.

Have we now a cap on it???

Stewart

PS Will be away for 28 days from tomorrow so hope I don't lose any replies. (Hence excuse any delay in replying to posts)

:h?:

Don't know whether it's related or not, but on my machine I've noticed several occasions recently when new posts have not been immediately bumping the thread up to the top of page 1. Seems OK at the moment though.

Yo all, just back after 4 weeks and no internet access, loggged onto BF and hit the New Posts button. Up came the message, Welcome back since you last visited 2/10/2005 there have been 2355 threads and 21,804 posts in forum. Again only gave me pages 1 to 40, showing results 1 to 986, last post dated 21.10.05?

Confused!

Stewart

Stewart J. said:
Yo all, just back after 4 weeks and no internet access, loggged onto BF and hit the New Posts button. Up came the message, Welcome back since you last visited 2/10/2005 there have been 2355 threads and 21,804 posts in forum. Again only gave me pages 1 to 40, showing results 1 to 986, last post dated 21.10.05?

Confused!

Stewart
Sounds like there's a limit of @1000 Stewart - what do you have set in your Profile Options for "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" ? Can you set it for 40 and try again?

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Is your "Default Thread Age Cut Off" set to show all Threads (not the last 10 days) ?

Yo Andrew tried altering the suggested setting, still only shows 40 pages to 21/10.

Stewart

Stewart J. said:
Yup..

Stewart
Hmm ... interesting. I wonder if anyone else has this problem, I suppose it may be some sort of corruption in your profile settings ... (perhaps I should take a month off to test it 3:) ) ... I'll flag this up for the tech guys.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Is that forty pages of forty Posts per page Stewart?

Yup, tried changing to show 2 months at 40 posts per page, still only shows 40 pages.

Thats it, 5 hours sleep in last 40 hours gotta crawl between those sheets..zzzzz

Cheers Andrew more tomorrow

Stewart

The number of results a search can return is set to a maximum of 1000 as searching is actually a very intensive process and so is limited to prevent it getting 'out of hand'! :)

Why it stopped at less than 1000 I don't know, presumably it includes threads that have been deleted?

Ollie

Green Fields said:
The number of results a search can return is set to a maximum of 1000 as searching is actually a very intensive process and so is limited to prevent it getting 'out of hand'! :)

Why it stopped at less than 1000 I don't know, presumably it includes threads that have been deleted?
Thanks for pointing that out Ollie - wouldn't want the server to catch fire from being overstressed, would we?

Andy.

Maybe it is coming up short despite switching the limit cos his computer has already "pulled" in those threads and left out the surplus if that makes sense? Something to do with cookies or something he can't possibly go back and correct.

(Tell me if I am talking tosh! ;) )

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back