• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this an eastern racer in Pennsylvania USA (1 Viewer)

S.W. Pennsylvania is in the range of both Black Rat snake and Northern Black Racer. Both have white on the chin, so this is not an easy distinction to make.

I think the fact that you got close enough to take these pictures is significant. I've been that close (and closer) to Black Rat snakes before without them trying to escape, but never with Racers, which are much more "nervous" snakes that bolt as soon as you get anywhere near them. I'd go with Black Rat, but maybe you could tell us more about the snake's behavior to confirm ...

[Later addition] One more thing in favor of Black Rat - the traces of white between the scales that you can see in the pics are more characteristic of Black Rat than a dark Racer.

Last edited:
we came across this snake on a trail and it didnt move at first. Myself and two others saw it stopped and then walked by it. AS i looked back and saw it start to crawl, thats when i decided to take the pictures. Then we went on our way, it didnt seem to mind us being there at all.

Looks more like Ratsnake. The white on the chin of a Ratsnake, is much more extensive than on the Northern Racer. Relaxed, at ease behavior typical for the Ratsnake. Twice, I've grabbed one on the porch of my place outstate, thinking it was a broom handle, hanging on the cabin. Have a habit of checking to make sure now. Below, in addition to what KC has above, might help.

PA. Herp Identification

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back