• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK herps 2014 (1 Viewer)

Thanks, but I guess they must be seriously inbred?

I don't think it is such an issue in reptiles as it is in higher mammals, it only becomes one if the small population does have recessive genes which cause an abnormality.

I am sure a biologist can elaborate.

Mark

I'm unaware of any reason why inbreeding would be more of a problem in some groups than others, apart from number of offspring produced - 1 inviable out of one is far more serious than 10 out of 40, when only one needs to survive to replace each parent.

interesting, thanks.

so in theory the populations could spread and we could have another reptile species? although obviously given our climate they are unlikely to establish to that extent.

8 grass snakes, 1 slow worm and quite a few common lizards at Alton Water today.

Attachments

• grasssnakesmall.jpg
    grasssnakesmall.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 71
I visited the Waterworks Nature Reserve, London hoping to see the Edible Frog today. I was sort-of expecting a walk-up-job, but as often happens if you don't do enough research I struggled.

There were some small frogs occasionally swimming around what they call the Wellhead (you look down into a sort of small underground reservoir) but other than that no joy. A guy at the reserve centre recommended looking here.

Any extra information appreciated. Phil

We finally got round to fixing my storm wrecked fence today, and in the process we had to move a flag stone that I placed there just for the Slow Worms, which are fairly common in these parts. To my surprise there were 22 of the little (and some big) beauties under there!

Despite evacuating most of them to a safe part of the garden, two tiny littleuns managed to find their way down one of the 4' deep (but only 1' wide) post holes, after the post had been dropped into place and panels fixed. So I had get down and dirty and reach in with my 3' long arms and rescue them from certain concrete encasement! Despite doing this just by feel I managed to get them both out :smoke:

A not very good pic showing some of them taken on a phonecam

Attachments

• slowworms.jpg
    slowworms.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I visited the Waterworks Nature Reserve, London hoping to see the Edible Frog today. I was sort-of expecting a walk-up-job, but as often happens if you don't do enough research I struggled.

There were some small frogs occasionally swimming around what they call the Wellhead (you look down into a sort of small underground reservoir) but other than that no joy. A guy at the reserve centre recommended looking here.

Any extra information appreciated. Phil

Phil
Assuming you approached along a hide-lined walkway, that is the right place.
James

Has anyone heard about when the next Birdbrook Reserve open day is I have contacted them but received no response.

Mark

Has anyone heard about when the next Birdbrook Reserve open day is I have contacted them but received no response.

Mark

Mark - there's been some discussion about this on the 'Herps twitching' group on FB. There's no open day signalled on the London Wildlife Trust website, which is a surprise. Sarah Patton is contacting the 'manager' of Birdbrook (Chas Snell) direct to see whether (a) there is an event and (b) if not, whether he would be happy to do a 'private' for interested folk. I'll keep you in touch (or you could join the group). Here's a reminder of what Birdbrook offers...

James

Attachments

• 143545798.r6lX8AIE.eAlpineNew_L_3048.jpg
    143545798.r6lX8AIE.eAlpineNew_L_3048.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 143545801.KqgdF2HY.ePoolFrog__L_3092.jpg
    143545801.KqgdF2HY.ePoolFrog__L_3092.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 149780451.LFqwnjPD.eJCL_1510.jpg
    149780451.LFqwnjPD.eJCL_1510.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 149780454.vpsILA9A.eJCL_1626.jpg
    149780454.vpsILA9A.eJCL_1626.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 149780457.76pSfc7O.eJCL_1700.jpg
    149780457.76pSfc7O.eJCL_1700.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 70
Boscombe Green Lizards

All

Has anyone been looking for the Boscombe green lizards of late? Having dipped last year I fancy another attempt and assume they are probably out and about now?

Cheers,

Paul

Single Marsh Frog at Claremont Landscape Gardens last night calling loudly during bat trapping. I found it by torchlight and got a fairly duff pic which I might put up later.

John

Attachments

• 2014_04_26 (10)_Marsh_Frog (800x533).jpg
    2014_04_26 (10)_Marsh_Frog (800x533).jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Loads of Marsh Frogs at Dungeness yesterday, also adder and slowworms in north Kent as well

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC8521.JPG
    _DSC8521.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 95
  • _DSC8517.JPG
    _DSC8517.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 86
Saw this monster yesterday at a mid-Cheshire Grass Snake hotspot. I was fairly close when I noticed it and it was not happy. It made a few half hearted but powerful strikes in my direction so I stamped my foot to get it to do one so I could estimate the length. Sadly it went straight for me so I left very quickly. I have seen a six foot plus individual at this site before about 10 years ago, this beast struck me as being thicker. Presumably it will stick around, the last monster was there over two seasons. Anyone who knows the Little Budworth site will be aware of the few felt squares which normally harbour tiddlers, this individual was much bigger than the surface are of the squares (Also three other small females and several Common Lizards in the area) Apologies for the images but not too bad for an I-phone.
Lot of luv
Dave

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    527.1 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 139
The week before Easter I was in Dorset and caught up with Adders, Grass Snakes, Common and Sand Lizards. A great spot near Wareham was apparently holding up to 14 adders along a fairly short bank, some of which I saw when twitching the BW Stilts!

Even If I started walking now I wouldn't make it, Car not well!

Suppose I will have to do that DIY I have been putting off.

Good luck with the Lizards etc.

Mark

Even If I started walking now I wouldn't make it, Car not well!

Suppose I will have to do that DIY I have been putting off.

Good luck with the Lizards etc.

Mark

If its not you its the car.... I dunno what to recommend you change!

At least we're not after anything you need.

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back