• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herps on Fuerteventura? (1 Viewer)

JCL

Anyone know anything about herps on Fuerteventura, Canary Islands - species, sites etc? I've got ten days there in early March and am keen to see whatever there is.

thankin' you kindly,

James

Anyone know anything about herps on Fuerteventura, Canary Islands - species, sites etc? I've got ten days there in early March and am keen to see whatever there is.

thankin' you kindly,

James

According to Clarke and Collins:-

Haria Lizard
Eastern Canary Skink
Eastern Canary Gecko
Stripeless Tree Frog

and possibly Marsh Frog

Stephen

Hi James.

I think Stephen has covered the species. I’ve never been to Fuerteventura, but I’ve visited nearby Tenerife and Lanzarote so I might be able to offer a tiny bit of advice.

Haria Lizard (Gallotia atlantica) also known as Atlantic Lizard should be very easy to find across the island, including around human habitation. You won’t miss it!

There is also a similar lizard that has been introduced east coast of the island called the Gran Canaria Giant Lizard (Gallotia stehlini). I’m not sure how common this animal is on Fuerteventura, but as its name suggests, it is much bigger than the Haria Lizard.

East Canary Lizard (Tarentola angustimentalis) is widespread and may be found by turning small, flat rocks and manmade debris around human habitation. They also hunt insects around lights at night.

The East Canary Skink (Chalcides simonyi) is perhaps the most difficult native reptile to find. Your best chance would be looking under rocks or checking the base of stone walls for basking individuals. They prefer moist areas with dense vegetation and are often found on banks between irrigated fields.

The Stripeless Tree Frog (Hyla meridionalis) may be calling in March and this is the only realistic chance of finding one. Check vegetated freshwater ponds at night with a torch and listen for them. Even a frog calling from a small puddle can be surprisingly difficult to find! I believe in the Canary Islands Stripeless Tree Frogs can also be found in banana plantations.

I’m not sure about other amphibians, but according to The Collins Field Guide Iberian Water Frog (Rana perezi) is found on the Canary Islands but doesn't give any more info. Again, checking fresh water at night is your best chance of finding it.

Hope this helps a little.

James,

Gran Canaria Giant Lizard (Gallotia stehlini) has been introduced to the island but I don't know where someone else might know

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back