• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abu Dhabi,UAE 25-27 September 2013 (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
A three-day work trip took me to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates just as autumn migration was kicking in. My birding was limited to a coffee break and an evening walk close to the Hilton Hotel (there are two – mine was in the East of the city near the football stadium), and the morning before my flight in the park around Mushrif Palace Gardens.

The coffee break was a quick 20 minutes in a grove of trees alongside an eight-lane highway. It was still nicer than my Magic Roundabout patch at Hong Kong Airport as there were no planes or trains, and the lawn and leaf litter under the trees was not strewn with rubbish or swarms of mosquitoes. The first birds were a recently fledged Common Myna loudly demanding food from its parents, and a fine Hoopoe that came up off the grass, perched and regally rolled its crest for the highly appreciative crowd (of one). A White-cheeked Bulbul displayed a Great Tit-like black frame to its pure white cheeks. They are smart birds, especially in flight from below, when they show a fine array of roundwhite spots on the end of each tail feather and a bright yellow vent.

A tree with lots of thin spiky branches and small leaves was home to a drab-looking sunbird. In other parts of the world this would be an ID nightmare, but happily Abu Dhabi limits itself to just the one – Palestine Sunbird – which has a shrill and easily identified call. Not so straightforward was a large hippo/accro with a short-looking tail. My best guess is the resident Eastern Olivaceous Warbler but I was never going to be able to do much with naked-eye views of a warbler hiding high in the foliage.

There were also two or three House Sparrows, a couple of Collared Doves, and best of all a Graceful Prinia which helpfully clambered down to eye level to check me out. On the way back a scruffy-looking dark-headed bulbul turned out to be Sooty-headed Bulbul an introduced species in the Emirates.

That evening the park across the road was rather less productive. A Eurasian Kestrel circled over my head and some 20 Ring-necked Parakeets dropped into the tall trees to roost. The highlight was watching twenty or so White-cheeked and Sooty-headed Bulbuls feeding on newly emerging flies. The flies were hovering a few feet above the tops of the trees and each bulbul would fly straight up, catch a fly, and then pivoting on its tail, tip over and drop back to its tree.

Cheers
Mike

Friday 27th September
An early start got me to the Mushrif Palace Gardens by 7:00 am. Apart from a couple of House Crows and the usual Bulbuls and Mynas the first bird of interest was one of four Spotted Flycatchers that just about perched long enough for a picture. Its 35 years since I saw my first Spotted Flycatcher, which was breeding in the ivy on the wall of my school in Dorset.

I also picked up a Turkestan Shrike, two small coveys of Grey Francolin, and another Hoopoe that appeared out of the lawn as if by magic and flolloped away. A puddle in the car-park of a polo ground held four disconsolate-looking Whimbrels, including one that rather pathetically tilted its head sideways in an attempt to drink some water from the puddle. Another tree held another big-ish accro/hippo and a similarly-sized and rather warm-toned sylvia warbler that looked too big for a Lesser Whitethroat, and I wondered about Menetrie's. Even with reference to the field guide I couldn’t resolve the conundrum before it disappeared.

Following some excellent instructions from Graham Talbot I found a shaded coppice that was clearly attractive both to the resident birds and to migrants. While the majority of these were Collared and Palm Doves, bulbuls, and House Sparrows I did also pick out a yellow-tinged juvenile Willow Warbler, a couple of small flocks of Indian Silverbills and finally a big, long-tailed warbler that was twisting and gyrating its but so vigourously it could only be an Upcher’s Warbler – and a splendid lifer!

This area also held a couple of Red-wattled Lapwings, which seemed strangely happy to be wandering around under the trees and a couple of beautiful Little Bee-eaters which posed beautifully for me on and off throughout the morning. A well-watered lawn produced the first of two Tree Pipits, and a Yellow Wagtail that flew off without giving me a chance to check which race it was.

Walking back through the way I’d come my eyes were drawn skywards by a flyover Blue-cheeked Bee-eater that immediately looked substantially larger than the Green Bee-eaters. I think it had been knocked off its perch by a juvenile Eurasian Hobby, that appeared in the top of a bare tree. I’d barely had time to identify it before a clearly displeased Eurasian Kestrel swooped in and landed directly above the Hobby.

A small hedge at the edge of this coppice seemed to be continually attracting birds, and closer inspection showed that water from pin-holes in a hose was providing a sheltered drinking spot. Among the usual mix of doves, sparrows, mynas and bulbuls were a few gems. My favourite of these was a slim and elegant Eastern Nightingale, that pretended to be a large accro, until its cocked its tail too high and too often to be anything but a chat. The second time it came through I had a clear view of the white-speckled rump and pale tertial and covert fringes that separate Eastern from Common Nightingale, from which it is a proposed split.

The Willow Warbler also appeared from time-to-time, but the real challenge was presented by a couple of large accros that it took a very long time to determine were indeed Clamorous Reed Warblers, and another lifer! I’ve only very rarely seen big accros hopping about on the deck, and these looked substantially longer-tailed than the Oriental Reed Warblers I’m more used to. I eventually had good enough views, and even – amazingly - a photo to prove that the primary projection was short enough for Great Reed Warbler to be safely eliminated. Thanks to Valery and Omar for confirmation in the BF ID section.

This left the final challenge of the smaller accro/hippo. Onc again the attraction of the water was enough to bring one skulker down from the trees and a few vigorous tail pumps was enough to go with the finer and longer bill to eliminate Upcher’s and Blyth’s Reed Warbler, allowing me to claim my third lifer – a wonderful Eastern Olivaceous Warbler.

The UAE has may more spectacular birds – owls, sandgrouse and the magnificent Crab Plover - many of which I still need, but I thoroughly enjoyed poking about under some more or less scraggly trees and getting a fine sense of the importance of small patches of habitat (especially with water) in an otherwise rather harsh desert environment.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN5562 Kestrel & Hobby 2.jpg
    DSCN5562 Kestrel & Hobby 2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN5621 Clamorous Reed Warbler?.jpg
    DSCN5621 Clamorous Reed Warbler?.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN5639 Green Bee-eater (tongue).jpg
    DSCN5639 Green Bee-eater (tongue).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN5597 Collared Dove.jpg
    DSCN5597 Collared Dove.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN5587 Palestine Sunbird.jpg
    DSCN5587 Palestine Sunbird.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi,

Thanks for the interesting report. Looks like you were close to my local patch. Was the Hilton you stayed in the wavy building on Airport Road?

Just a small point - our sunbirds are Purple, not Palestine. And the sooty-headed bulbuls are Red-vented.

Andrew

Last edited:
That's right Andrew - the wavy Hilton it was . . .

Thanks also for putting me right on the sunbird and bulbul - I was much more worried about getting the warblers right and obviously didn't check the other two properly.

Cheers
Mike

Ad

Thanks for a great report - I hope to spend a day there soon on a stop over from Europe to Sri Lanka.

If I have just one day in AD which places have I to go to to get most birds please

Ian

Thanks Ian

I'm not really qualified to answer your question about the best bird sites in Abu Dhabi as I was just a first time visitor in September, but there's LOTS of into on the UAE Birding website, here:

http://www.uaebirding.com/

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back