• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with live hdmi feed to external monitor / laptop (1 Viewer)

Ray in Costa Rica with a tech Q. I am wondering if this is feasable

Camera like a GH4 with 4k Video and clean hdmi out

While digiscoping, have everything viewable "live" on an external laptop (Macbook Pro 15) or external 234 inch lcd

The reason is for Eco Tourism, so clients at our Mountain Eco Resort on Carara Mountain, who are without the equipment or experience, can see on the big screen what the birds are doing, while one of us runs the equipment

and be ideal to record for streaming or vimeo videos later, or to DVD or mp4

Thanks
Raymond

I have connected my video camera direct to my TV via a long lead (about 20mtrs) and watched birds in the garden, This was some years ago so not HD.

My P900 has wifi and I can watch the birds from my lounge with camera set up close to feeder in garden....and take pics :)

Shouldn't be at all difficult with up to date equipment.

Den

Should also be possible with smartphones connected to a scope, using the camera app and transmitting to a tablet or laptop.

A simpler alternative would be just to use a larger smartphone or a tablet connected to the scope (you would need to assemble an adapter for that, don't think adaptors for tablets are available commercially), and have the people look directly on the screen.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Periscope work here? Have no idea what sort of definition periscope allows though...

Smartphone with video attached to a scope, can be watched on any screen anywhere, wifi permitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back