• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Quail in UK (1 Viewer)

Nice bird you have in the garden, Su x.
Most common species of Quails in aviaries, gues it´s their pretty plumage which makes them so beloved.

Thanks guys, what a nice bunch you are! I will indeed look after the Quail - if it returns to any of my bird tables, I will keep you posted. I took several pictures, all similar but if anyone wants to see the rest just let me know. Best wishes to you all. Su x

If it does ever return, you might get to hear the "rallying" call ("where are you, where are you, where are you") familiar from the soundtrack of many a western movie (or for that matter any movie made outdoors in California). I have a resident flock of about 60 in my backyard where the "where are you's" and other quail noises are among the most characteristic sounds.

Last edited:
If it does ever return, you might get to hear the "rallying" call ("where are you, where are you, where are you") familiar from the soundtrack of many a western movie (or for that matter any movie made outdoors in California). I have a resident flock of about 60 in my backyard where the "where are you's" and other quail noises are among the most characteristic sounds.
allaboutbirds.org/guide/California_Quail/sounds

The answer to Where-are-you? seems to be Chi-ca-go.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, just a quickie to let you know that our lovely California Quail is back again and feeding as I write. It is about the same time of day that he/she came to feed last time. Should I be trying to trap this bird? I'm really worried about it coping with the snow and ice.

Hi Guys, just a quickie to let you know that our lovely California Quail is back again and feeding as I write. It is about the same time of day that he/she came to feed last time. Should I be trying to trap this bird? I'm really worried about it coping with the snow and ice.

I wouldn't worry about it. California Quail do just fine in my back yard in Reno where temperatures lately have fallen to single digits Fahrenheit.

Well, spring migration has meant a northerly movement!

Coming out of work this morning at Manchester Airport and a California Quail ran into the bushes by the Raddisson hotel - even gave a call as it went!

H

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back